Grandpa | Teen Ink

Grandpa

Just an ordinary day after school, at home with my little sister waiting until our mom got home from work. We were lounging on the couch in comfy clothes, watching t.v. The phone started ringing so I got up to go answer it. The caller ID said it was my dad, instantly I picked it up knowing he rarely ever called unless it was a birthday. His voice sounding very brittle. Before I had the chance to ever say a single word he said, “Is this Becca? Who’s  home? I need to talk to you guys”. So many thoughts going through my head, was he in trouble with the law? Was he hurt at work? Did something happen to someone? I answered back, “Yes dad, Lizz and and I are home, what’s going on”? Him studdering to say anything, “Its your grandpa, he had a heart attack. Your granny is with him at the hospital now”. My reaction questioning it all, “ Oh. Ok. Well Is he okay? Like what actually happened? Was he home?” All my dad had to say was he knew nothing more than that he had a heart attack and it wasn’t looking too good.

I walked into my little sister Lizzy’s room and she immediately asked who I was speaking to on the phone. I told her exactly what my dad told me. On spot you could see it in her eyes and then all of a sudden the tears began to roll down her face. I sat her down on her bed and informed her that everything would be just fine. “Let’s just say a little prayer and i'm sure all will be well,” I told her.

We sat in her room for quite some time. I played with her hair,  into a fishtail braid, while trying to change the subject. I asked how school went and how many final tests she still had to take. The phone began to ring again. Nervously, I went to go get the phone. Caller ID read, John Walgenbach. I didn’t know what to think, good news or bad?  I picked it up and said, “Hello”? Not a word to be said. A heavy breath was heard. Sadly I knew I was not going to like the words that were about to come out. I didn’t want my dad to say it. But then at once, “He’s gone. His heart stopped. Your grandpa is no longer here. My dad didn’t make it”. Before the process of what I just heard to registered in my head I had already started the water works.

I held Lizzy tight as we both were uncontrollably letting our emotions go. Together we fell asleep, one of us at each side of the small twin sized bed. With a startle wake up to the sound of a  “BANG!” Our mom began walking into the doorway of the bedroom, cell phone in her hand. Considering the fact that we were usually non-stop arguing, my mom instantly knew that Lizzy and I had already received the call because of the huge puffy eyes and the fact that we were in the same room without wanting to chop each others head off. Our mom sat down and hugged us explaining to us that we need to look at the situation which is the life cycle and we needed to look at the good sides of things even in such a hard time. She also told us that even though the circumstances were horrible, we would get to see/meet my dad’s side of the family from Mississippi.

The next day was the day we packed up and our journey to Mississippi had started. Before we even left town I had a total meltdown. We stopped at McDonald’s to get dinner and I don’t know what got into me but I, balling my eyes out and yelling at everyone to leave me alone. I didn’t want anyone to talk to me nor look at me. I don’t know if I was scared to leave town and go to the funeral or if it was the fact that I just didn’t want to accept that my grandpa passed away. Eventually after all the dramatic comments my sisters made towards me I fell asleep for quite some time.

The rest of the drive was so much better than how it all started. Stopping in Colorado Springs to pick up my sister Jessica and niece McKenzie was one of my favorite stops we made on the trip. While finding our way to her home you could just see the gorgeous sun shining down on all of the beautiful mountain tops. We all got to shower and eat, even just getting out to stretch was nice. After we left her house it was a full car. Jam packed there was nine bodies total in the car which caused a few fights here and there but wasn’t too bad.
Eventually we made it to my grandma’s house. Excited as we were to get out of the jam packed car there was a weird uncomfortable feeling that came to me. Just didn’t feel right to be so excited to see my family when my grandpa died just three days before. Walking into the house to see everyone all crowded in the living room. It was my cousins all squished together on one couch, aunts and uncles sitting on armrests or on the floor while granny in her chair. One thing that really stood out to me was that there was one spot open. One giant green chair right next to granny that was completely free for anyone to sit in. Yet, none sat there. Everybody left my grandpas chair free as if he was sitting in it himself.

After all the “Oh look how big you are, you were just a itty-bitty baby the last time I saw you,” hugs, and kisses were over granny insisted we got something to eat because there was so much food in her kitchen, that she was running out of counter space! While we all got some food down in our stomachs granny shared with us the whole play by play for the viewing, church mass, and the burial. Which then of course got everyone thinking of why were are all together and the tears began to come down.

The night ended when my Uncle Billy brought out his guitar trying to cheer up everyones spirit. We all sat down together right there in the living room singing some of grandpa’s favorite songs. My cousin Brandon even got up to dance with my granny, which they did and it seemed to put the biggest smile on her face.

As the day rolled on it was almost time that the family needed to show up to the church for the viewing of my grandpa’s body. Before anyone else was allowed to go in, my granny was set on the idea that family members were to be the very first and last to see him. My sisters and I lined up to go say goodbye. So many different ideas and thoughts running through my mind as I walked closer and closer to the casket. I had never done this before. I was nervous. Just the thought of seeing a deceased body. That body being my god father. My grandpa. It was too unreal for me. With just one more person to go in front of me, all I could sense was the misery as each person walked away. I walked forward with my Uncle Billy on my right and my Uncle Ronnie on the left side of me. I felt nothing but the chills running up and down my arms and legs. The salty drips running down my face reaching my lips. I didn’t know what to do. I grabbed his hand, leaned forward and whispered in his ear, “I love you” as I pressed a kiss upon his cheek.

Over 1000 people showed up to pay their respects that night. Each with amazing stories about how they knew my grandpa. I had no idea that my grandpa had an effect on so many hearts in his lifetime but it was definitely nice to see so many people walk in and out of the church. It really proved on what a great man he was.

The burial of my grandfather which followed the church mass was the roughest part of him passing away.  Since he was in the Navy his funeral was set up to have the  proper military etiquette.  Its absolutely nothing like how we see it in the movies. Yes the ones in the movies are sad and make you cry but there is a whole other side of it when its a family member and you are there, watching the whole thing happen right before your eyes. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t miss my grandpa. To this day I wish I got to say good bye to him before he passed away I wish I could hear the words“Give me some sugga, booga” one last time. 

This Is my first paper!