Two Weeks to Remember | Teen Ink

Two Weeks to Remember

By RitzCracker99 BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
RitzCracker99 BRONZE, Solon, Ohio

One trip changed my life, increased my confidence, and lowered the wall that I built around myself.
During the first two weeks of August in 2013, I traveled to camp in Stanford University before the strip one would consider me as an introvert, unconfident and closed-off.  I didn't have many friends; however this trip change every one of those traits.

There I was standing in front of the entrance to where my dorms are located. I knew no one. I lacked  social skills.So one can understand how difficult it was to take the first step.

I checked in, received the documents, and was directed to my dorm. My roommates still were not there. As the natural procrastinator as I am, I left my stuff on the bed and went outside to look around the area. There were so many people.

Tall. Short. Asian. American. Russian. The list goes on. Instead of socializing, I texted my mom telling her that I have no idea what to do, she told me that I have to stop worrying and that people will love me for me and not for any other reason. Yet, what daughter ever listens to her mother.

The advisors called the Interpretation Event group to come to one area. They led us to a building called Old Union, this was where students could hang out.

The first session was all about getting to know one another. So we had to just walk around and introduce ourselves. Luckily, I did not freak out. Later, we did some improv and, let me just say, everyone was absolutely fabulous. I felt so intimidated.

After three days of exercises, sessions and picking out scripts. I did something totally unexpected. Listening to my mother’s words, I asked to sit with a group of people at lunch. One simple action, this may have been the best move i have ever taken in my life.

The group consisted of ten people, and yes male and female. I consider them to be the most non-judgemental group of people ever. We became inseparable for the next 11 days.

Some of the best memories we had together may have been, trying Jamba Juice for the first time. Obviously, drinking Starbucks together, making a hilarious rendition of Ave Maria, and every moment we laughed, smiled, and cried together. Whenever we felt down, we just turned on the music to bring ourselves back up. We danced on the streets, sang and made up our own music. The friendships that I developed encouraged me to become more open and accepting of who I am as a person.

Other than friendships, the character lunch-in alo helped me become the person I am today. The guidelines were that we had to become a character of our speech,  and go into a public place and socialize with strangers. I had to be an insecure, superficial, and unconfident teenager. I had to go around and ask people, “Hi, can I ask you something? Do you think I need liposuction? Because all my friends have big boobs and I don’t.”

Let’s just say that I got the acceptance speech three times that day. I also took selfies with random people, some people actually said yes and then I proceeded to break down in tears, because well I thought it would be funny.

The experiences I had helped me accept myself. I gave me confidence to  do what I want to do. Now, I am a sassy, confident, extrovert and will always be.