Keith Phaneuf - Self Essay | Teen Ink

Keith Phaneuf - Self Essay

February 28, 2015
By Keith Phaneuf BRONZE, Blackstone, Massachusetts
Keith Phaneuf BRONZE, Blackstone, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In my early school years I had an IEP with accommodations for my learning disability with reading and writing. I was fortunate along the way, especially in my early school years, to have reading specialists who were able to help me learn strategies to overcome the disability. Something as simple as using a ruler as a guide when reading in order to follow the words was extremely helpful and it made reading easy. Additional time and a quiet location for test taking helped me to concentrate. I often need to read something more than once in order to fully comprehend the reading material. When I was young I had a reading tutor who would come to my house in the summer. I would hear her pull in the driveway and think “oh great, here she is . Instead of playing outside on a summer day I have to spend time with a reading tutor. She would play word games and that would make the sessions go by quickly. Little did I know that the simple strategies I learned would be extremely important and helpful to me during the rest of my school years. 

 

When it comes to my schoolwork I’ve always had to work harder than most people because of the learning disability in reading and writing. I work extra hard when writing a homework paper. Mapping out and creating an outline is a strategy that I use when writing a paper. By creating an outline it helps me to write my thoughts done on paper before creating the writing. I’ve become a perfectionist of sorts and want to get everything right, 100% all the time. I have and continue to use the basic strategies I learned at a young age through high school and will continue to use them in college. Having to work hard at something is not a bad thing, it has made me stronger in attitude, focus and determination. I’ve learned how to better myself and do what works for me.  Sports has always been a big part of my life. I began playing ice hockey and baseball when I was 4 years old. Unlike school work, athletics was easy for me. I was a natural athlete and excelled at sports. My sports schedules always consumed most of my time after school and still do today. Unlike school, it’s been a place where I am confident and satisfied. I remember the days when in order to play sports I had to be disciplined with my homework and get it done immediately after school. Working hard at school carried over to my sports schedule whether it be a practice or game. As I excelled in sports and had opportunities to bring my game to a higher level, I knew I had to move on from our public school system.  Even though I had an obstacle in my way, the learning disability, my parents encouraged and supported me to move on. My parents were confident with my decision and told me that with my work ethic “I would be able to do anything, whether it be school or sports as long as I put my mind to it”. 

 

When I made the decision in the summer of 7th Grade to take the entrance exam for my current high school, I thought it might be a reach academically.  My high school had a great reputation and I knew by talking to others that “it was a tough school to get into”.  Happily later on that year, I received the acceptance letter in mail. My confidence level went through the roof. All the hard work and strategies I had learned paid off. Something that meant so much to me was achieved, a great accomplishment. From that point forward I continued to work hard in high school, my grades were consistent and even making the honor roll on many occasions.  Although I’ve had a learning disability, it has taught me to work hard, be patient and confident and not to give up on myself. It gave me the mentality of, if you want something bad enough you will find the strategies and will to do so. I now feel successful and confident in my schoolwork and know that when I move on to the next level in my life , college, I will handle it.