Hunting Day | Teen Ink

Hunting Day

February 17, 2015
By Jacob Rose BRONZE, Walker, Michigan
Jacob Rose BRONZE, Walker, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I threw on my favorite winter outfit and I sprinted out of my bedroom because today is the day that I go out hunting with my dad! I am so excited to go hunting because it’s finally the start of hunting season and it was the first day I could go. I have never shot a buck in my life and I was really hoping that this would finally be the day I could have a chance to shoot one.


I ran upstairs with excitement, although I had to be very quiet because my mom and sister were still sleeping. It was very hard because I was so excited. I had to get ready quickly so my dad and I can leave the house on time.  I ate my small breakfast of cereal, and I went outside to get my hunting outfit on and get ready to leave. When we got outside, it was very hard to get my boots on because it was so cold outside. I bet it was about 10 degrees outside when we were getting ready in the garage. I was cold before I even started hunting! Luckily, we have a warm car that I got to ride in, so I was all heated up as soon as I got to our hunting place, which is a lease we have about 15 minutes up North.


As soon as we arrived there, we had a very long walk through the woods. That is always the boring part because it was about a 6-7 minute walk, and I was the one who always have to carry the big and heavy crossbow. We have to park far away from the spot because we do not want to startle the deer, that is why it is such a long walk, and to make it even worse, it is very dark outside because it’s still 5:30 in the morning.


As we walked through the woods, we heard something really cool that we don't usually hear. We heard an owl, but not just one, we heard three, and the funny thing was is that they were right next to us in the tree. That was really cool to see because I have never seen a wild owl before in my life.


After that experience with the owls, we were approaching the pathway to the tree stand. My dad was shining his flashlight in the woods to find reflectors that we have put into some trees so we know where to go. As soon as we found them we had to be extra quiet because we were going into the woods and we really don't want to startle the deer. This was the perfect day to go hunting because the wind was very low and it was a very quiet, so quiet I could almost hear my heartbeat in my chest.


After a long and exhausting walk through the woods, we have finally reached the tree stand and started the normal procedures we do when we get there. We always load the crossbow first so we don’t have to do that up in the tree. That saves a lot of hassle for us. Then we hook the crossbow up to a string so we can hoist it up when we get in the stand. After all of that is done, we climb to the top of the twenty foot tree stand, settle in, and then wait.


After we have gotten all settled in, my dad quietly whispers to me,”Are you ready to shoot a buck today?”
Then I reply,”Yeah I am, I have a feeling this is going to be a good day.”
“I do too,” says my dad with a confident voice.
As the day went on, we surprisingly haven’t seen anything and I was getting very bored, but I still had about three hours to hunt. Luckily, I brought my iPod along with me so I could play some games really quietly in the tree. That lasted for about an hour, then I just started to get tired. I ended up falling asleep inside my giant winter coat, it got very hot inside my coat because it was so thick. It got so warm inside my coat that I forgot that I was outside! It felt like I was in my room at home sleeping in my bed!


I fell asleep for about a half an hour, then my dad nudged me to wake me up. There was a deer coming. It was coming straight at us and my dad was giving me little hand motions showing me where the deer was coming from. As soon as I noticed the deer, I looked down the scope, and what do you know? It was a buck. I was so excited for this and I knew it was going to happen today! My hands were shaking and I was getting very hot and sweaty because I was so nervous. What if I mess this up? What if I miss? What if the deer runs away and I won’t be able to shoot my first buck? I always was thinking of the worst case scenario and it always made me really nervous because I thought something bad was going to happen.


As the buck got closer, I slowly put my crossbow up to the ledge of the treestand to steady it. I was waiting for the deer to get close enough so I can get a shot at it. My dad was telling me to make sure that I don’t put my finger on the trigger until I’m ready to shoot because that is  the most important rule of hunting. I couldn’t really hear what he was saying to me because I was so focused on the buck.


The buck was now close enough to where I could shoot it and I knew this was going to be it. My hand was trembling as I had my hand on the trigger. When the buck was turned sideways I let out a loud grunt to stop the deer in its tracks, then I did it. I pulled the trigger and the bolt went flying through the air heading toward the deer. Then SMACK goes the arrow as it hits the deer, and thats when I knew I hit it. I felt a wave of relief go through me  as I killed the deer knowing this was my first buck! 


We waited for a few minutes to make sure that the deer died and so we can go and find where it ran to. After we waited a few minutes, we started gathering up our things in the treestand and started to climb down the ladder. Once we got to the bottom, we grabbed the scope cover to the crossbow that we hung on a tree when we got to the stand so we wouldn’t lose it.


Then we headed off to the spot where I had shot the deer to look for a blood trail so that we could track it. It was very hard to find blood because it was autumn and the blood blended in with all the leaves. I scoured the area, but could not find any blood. Oh no! Did  miss the deer? 


We inspected the area for about 20 minutes until we FINALLY found a blood trail. I felt another wave of relief go over me as soon as I found that blood trail.


As soon as we found the deer, I was so excited and found out it was a 5 point buck!


“Great job buddy I’m really proud of you!” says my dad.


“Thank you!” I said with excitement.


I think my dad was just excited as I was when he knew that I shot my first buck. He was laughing and calling all of his friends he hunts with that I shot a buck. He was so excited for me!


After he was done telling everyone that I had killed a buck, he called my grandpa to bring his truck so we can bring the deer to the processor and get the meat from the deer. We do not have a truck so we always rely on my grandpa to bring his big truck for these kinds of jobs.


The fun wasn't over yet though. We still had to drag the deer all the way out to the road and that always took forever because the deer is so heavy. Then after that… we had to gut the deer. Gutting the deer is always the worst part for me because it was messy and it stinks very bad.


Once we got to the road, I was out of breath from dragging a 150 pound deer a half mile through the woods. My grandpa was waiting for us out on the road so he could see the deer that I had shot. He got out of his car and came over to me and gave me a big pat on the back and said,


“ Congratulations Jacob on your first buck! I am very proud of you!”


“Thank you so much!” I replied.


After a few minutes of talking to my grandpa, we loaded the deer into the back of my grandpas truck, and I attempted to wash myself up a little bit with an old rag I found in the back of my dads car.


After everything was cleaned up and put away, it was finally time to head home. My grandpa congratulated me one last time before he left, then we both got in our cars and drove away.


In the end, I realized that hunting takes a lot of patients and effort. It also takes a lot of hard work that you have to deal with if you go hunting. I also learned that I need to get a better nights rest so I don’t ever fall asleep again while I am hunting. Then again, it was all a really fun time and it was a great experience to finally be able to shoot my first buck.