Lies This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I wake up at seven o’clock and get ready for school. Mom asks if I did my homework and I say yes. One down, many to go. As I go out the door she asks if I have my cell phone and I tell her I do. That’s two in less than a minute. When my friend Cassie and I meet up in the school’s parking lot, she asks if she looks okay. I tell her she looks beautiful, and that’s one more before eight o’clock. In class the teacher asks if I went to class yesterday. Of course I didn’t, and if I did, I wouldn’t tell her. I was home sick in bed.

Lunch arrives and I sit with Jackie and Lauren. As Jackie gets her lunch, Lauren asks if she looks like she gained weight. She looks obese, but I tell her I thought she’d lost 10 pounds. I’m doing well, I’ve stayed below six before noon. When Jackie returns, she tells me someone called her a whore. I know she is but I console her by saying that of course she isn’t. That’s number six and the clock just struck noon.

At the end of last period, Shannon asks if I could give her a ride home. I say I don’t mind at all, and that makes seven. She gives me a hug and tells me I’m the best as I drop her off. No, I have to be humble and not allow her to praise me when she should be kissing the ground I walk on. That’s eight. Barely in my door, my boss calls and asks me to come in at four. I can’t because I have to go to my niece’s birthday party. There’s nine. I’m really on a roll today.

At dinner I don’t touch my food. Mom asks if I feel okay and I just smile weakly and tell her I’m not hungry. She asks if her cooking is okay and I say I love it. That’s two in the same sentence. Dad asks how school was and I tell him it was good, and that’s one more at the dinner table.

Mom and Dad go into the family room as they do every night. As usual, I go to the loft and play a computer game. An hour later Mom asks if I’m doing homework and I tell her I’m almost finished with English and moving on to history. I don’t even take history. Satisfied with my answer, she returns to her movie. Later, she asks if I want some ice cream. I can’t afford the calories and tell her I’m still feeling ill. I’m practically starving but I let it go.

At long last, I go to bed for my last “lie” of the night.

ChelseaB said...
I can totally understand this, it's so odd how someone can lie and get away with it.  (I should know xD) Anyways, I love how you wrote this.  Beautiful, and thank you for sharing it. 

BethaniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
What are you trying to say? I don't understand. 

11Make:AWish11 replied...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 4:14 pm :
She's trying to say (or at least I hope, this is just my guess, loved the story btw) that we might not notice it and say we don't lie but we lie all the time every day. She's counting her lies throughout the day to show how many there can be and might seem shocking if you just heard it, but when it comes to ourself we think it's not really that big of a deal. Just, in General, we lie all the time, but don't really how much we do. (again, just my opinion.)

Katie_Potatie replied...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 7:25 pm :
That was exactly how I saw it. A beautiful interpretation by the both of you may I add. =)