Psychiatry | Teen Ink

Psychiatry

January 28, 2015
By Grace Palmitessa GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Grace Palmitessa GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I’ve known ever since I was a four year old little girl and held my great grandfather’s hand, telling him everything was going to be okay after he’d had a heart attack that I was meant to help people. He appreciated that so much and that is one of the only memories I have with him as he, sadly, passed away shortly after. Even now, this is something I hold close to my heart and is a main reason why I ever thought of going into a career where I can help others and go into medicine. Who ever would have thought that I would really become so interested and actually enjoy those things? I want to become a psychiatrist now. That’s a major life decision and I am determined to follow through with it.


One of the main reasons I want to be a psychiatrist is the fact that I want to enjoy going to work. I don’t want to dread waking up in the morning and going to work like I see so many adults do. The subject of mental health is really interesting to me and that’s why I would enjoy going into that field of the workforce. Another perk of this job is that it makes pretty good money. There’s something I’ve always been told by many people, “Money isn’t everything,” and I know that it isn’t, but of course, it does mean something. Money keeps people going because everything except for happiness costs money. At least, that’s what it seems like. Enjoying work
and making good money. Two things that most adults in the 21st century want so badly. One of the biggest factors of people enjoying work is doing something that they have always wanted to do. For me, that is medicine.


I want to go into medicine, but I can’t be a doctor or a nurse because I don’t think I could handle giving people shots and all those tasks that being a doctor or a nurse requires.  They are very strong people. If I were to go into another field of work, it would definitely involve neurology. The human brain is a really complex thing that nobody completely understands and it is so interesting to me. Psychiatry definitely involves neurology as it involves doing tests and trying to help people whose minds are a little different than the average. 


Along with enjoying work and going into medicine, I want to help people. Being around people and helping others makes me feel like I’m making a difference in the world, no matter how small. That will put a smile on my face, anytime, anyplace.  Some people aren’t good listeners. It’s in their blood and they just don’t care to do it. Nothing wrong with that. Me? I like to hear what other people say. If somebody has a problem, I’m the person who tries everything in my power to make them feel better. When people are upset or ill in some way, may that be mentally or physically, I just want to help. 

Psychiatry would be a good profession for me. Enjoying work, going into medicine and helping people; three things that are goals for me in the future. Whether or not I carry on with this life decision to become a psychiatrist, I hope these things take priority in my adult life. I owe a lot of it to my great grandpa.  He taught me, without even meaning to, that helping people is a good thing.  I will carry that with me for the rest of my life.