The night I challenged the Universe | Teen Ink

The night I challenged the Universe

Last night, in pursuit of a healthier lifestyle (New Years resolution, PS…it didn’t last), I was out doing some cardio exercises, but as I began to wear out I decided to lay down in my driveway and despite the freezing temperature and cold asphalt I looked up. There’s something about winter, that it’s so clear you can see all the stars in the night sky, something that we, and I myself seldom notice. But as I lay there unaware of the cold, a deep kind of fascination kicked in and I had an almost out of body experience. I just think of what is out there (both of what we know and what we don’t) and I put myself in perspective compared to the rest of the fathomable universe and well, I think it’s pretty amazing. To think that these are the same stars the ancient egyptians and galileo himself layed their curious eyes upon is crazy! It’s an odd thing, that as humans we constantly have to size ourself up to something and even more so, I chose the universe of all things for this comparison. I chose everything that night, and I CHOOSE everything still. We have so little time as humans on this Earth as ourselves, and the knowledge available to us spans infinite lifetimes. It transcends time itself. It’s a saddening thought, but I take it as a challenge. I often think back to those Egyptians and Galileo and I know they themselves had this fascination that couldn’t be satiated, merely because there was and is so much. Regardless of these philosophical epiphanies, pseudo-intellectual claims, and ungrammatical tense changes; from medieval literature to quantum mechanics, I am going to challenge the universe. I know it’s hardly plausible to pursue this kind of boundless knowledge, but I myself transcend time as well as the knowledge I gain, I am part of the universe, no lesser than stars and no more than the dirt, and that is why I am sure as hell going to try.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on an existential dilemma regarding knowledge and time.