Memories of Past Times | Teen Ink

Memories of Past Times

By blue-moon SILVER, Palm Desert, California
blue-moon SILVER, Palm Desert, California

"If Life is art, Then what is Death?"

Sun filtered through the window beside my bed, lighting up the small pink room I used to sleep in. I was only six years old at the time, and I was just as stubborn as I am now. I shared a room with my sister, which wasn't a big problem since we were the same age, and I enjoyed having her company. I was a big troublemaker back then as well; I would argue with my parents more often than I should have. Because of this, I would most likely be yelled at or grounded. I was very emotional back then, and I still am, so I would cry whenever they yelled. I would cry whenever someone else yelled at my friend or relative too. So that day, I ran into my room, jumped on to my bed, and cried. I stared out the window and cried because my parents wouldn't let me go outside to play with my brother and sister. I don’t know exactly how my brother knew I was crying, but he did. And so as I was sitting on my bed sobbing, my brother came around the side of the house to my window. He was shorter back then and the window was eye level for an adult, so he had to stand up straight to see me. He put a note on the window which read, “It’s ok! Feel better soon Sarah! I love you. -Will”. It made me smiled, and I wiped my tears away. My brother, Will, smiled back at me, then walked back around the house. That memory has made me cry just thinking about it. I miss those days, when everything was so simple and pure, when my brother was happy and not angry at all, and when I had something to smile about. That memory reminds me of those times, and because of how emotional I am, I cry. But they aren't tears of sadness or pity, but tears of happiness and longing. I’m sure many people miss the way things were, but they have to realize that things have changed. For the better or for the worst, things always change. Until someone builds a time machine, there’s no going back. But that’s okay. Just having those memories, is the best thing I could ask for.