Treasure of Waukesha County | Teen Ink

Treasure of Waukesha County

January 21, 2015
By Sparky88 SILVER, Hartford, Wisconsin
Sparky88 SILVER, Hartford, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Tucked away behind a small post office is a public boat launch for North Lake. Its a very small hidden launch into a shallow river that carries you on to the majestic lake. Not many people know of it, or like using it, so its mainly the locals and a few extra on the lake. 2/3rd s of the way into the lake is a long sand bar where you can beach your boat, Then you can just hang out, or play catch, I've even seen people tailgate out there. But if it’s your first time on the lake, sometimes… people forget to tell you about the sandbar… And when you hit it, its like running straight into Clay Matthews and stops you dead in your tracks. There is a spot at the very end of the sand bar just big enough to squeeze a boat through.


Fourth of July on the lake is a floodlight of reds, whites, and blues fireworks, bringing this little community together like one big family. The rest off the summer the community uses the school park to get together for quite a few more festivals that most would find odd... They have a tractor pull, Petting zoo, and two fundraisers, where the following things may take place. People bring in lawn mowers with stacks and drag racing wheels and drive them down the mini drag strip on the baseball field. We’ll also bring in goats and llamas, to feed and ride. Then lastly there's one huge blow out rummage sale inside the school gym for anyone to join, and anyone to buy.    It’s different if you're not from North lake, but to us its just another get together.


North Lake is slowly modernizing, but trying to keep all of its old traditions. For instance the post office has p.o. boxes with the oversize old keys, most likely from when it was built. Almost every house is heated by oil,and Cory oil is the largest business in the town. Speaking of Cory oil has a lighting ceremony every Christmas where Santa comes down the street and goes into Cory oil. Then all the kids can sit and talk with Santa and get photos with reindeer. “Everyone in town knows about this”.


The tradition, family, and get together is what keeps North Lake a treasure of Waukesha county and you need to stop by and visit at least once, because it will bring you back every year.  Then our tradition will become yours.