Family Issues | Teen Ink

Family Issues

December 8, 2014
By Erin Laskie-Deleon BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
Erin Laskie-Deleon BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 There are many points in our lives where we stand by while an injustice occurres. Some problems affect us more and longer than others. My oldest sister Rachel and I never got along growing up. She moved out and we don’t see each other as often. Our relationship has grown slightly better not having to deal with one another all the time.


 My sisters and I are only half related, Rachel and Becca are related with the same dad and all three of us share the same mother. My dad or sperm donor as I put it as is Guatemalan. I take on more of the major traits from him, dark hair when my sisters have blonde, dark brown eyes as Rachel has my mom’s blue eyes and Becca has their dad’s hazel green, my caramel skin contrasts their pale color. Basically we look nothing alike except for the two things we all got from our mother; the button nose and round faces. 


 My older sister, Rachel, always thought it was her responsibility to take care and be in control of me. As we both grew older she became more judgmental and I became more cautious of others and their feelings. Of course being my older sister I was taught to respect her and at least consider the advice she would give me. I often ignored her advice and never respected her because she was too controlling, regularly she would state, “I’m older and I’m an adult so you should give me your respect” card. Being 14 I enjoyed rebelling and fighting with her. She wasn’t that smart compared to my other sister and I. I would tease her all the time, calling her names such as stupid, retarded, and idiot. I regretted a lot of it but, Rachel isn’t the victim in this story.


 During the beginning of my freshman year, my sister Becca was pregnant with her first baby and we were having a small baby shower for her at my mother’s house. Becca is not a very organized person. She had forgotten most of the dishes and Rachel and I had to help her prep and decorate. When all of us are together we are usually pretty good and polite. The party started with the few close friends Becca had invited over. Rachel can be an emotional person when it comes to family events like this. She started to get grumpy and rude towards Becca. Irritated, Rachel and I started to fight. I told her it wasn’t all about her and it was Becca’s special day so she shouldn’t be making a scene. It all went downhill from there.


 Rachel corned me into the wall near our dinner table and slapped me. She continued to talk saying, “You do not get to treat me like this! I am you’re elder and you are supposed to treat them with respect! When I have kids they will never be disrespectful like you and I will never have a mixed child like you.” That stunned me, my own sister saying that to me, sure I was used to my mom and sister joking around calling me their “Guatemalan border jumper” as a joke and I would call them “crackers” but Rachel went too far saying that. An awkward silence filled the air as everyone just watched what happened, Rachel had gone too far and everyone was just as shocked as me. I left to my room and waited for everyone to leave from the party. Later it was resolved when I told our mom what she had said. I will never forget what she said and I don’t think I can forgive her for it either.
 There are many points in my life where people have stood idly by and not helped. I hope others can change the way they act and help others in need.