The Staff | Teen Ink

The Staff

December 11, 2014
By Anonymous

I half walked, half hobbled into the room leaning against my dad to stabilize. Walking into the room there was an abnormally large space from the door to the room in a rectangular shape the same width as the door.

The room smelled like ammonia and window cleaner, and with floors so clean you could eat off of them.
The first thing you see in the room is a giant hospital bed right in the middle of the room, big enough to fit 3 people on it. In the back right corner, there was a window so large I could stand in it, and when you looked out you could see the fall leaves falling and the noon sun in the sky just above the new addition to the hospital I was in where they were finishing construction, and you could faintly hear the sound of construction from the room.
On the right side of the room, there was a white board with the names of past patients. To the left of the door, there was a small old TV, and it was very blocky and bolted to the top of the wall. The left wall was a giant storage space with a padlock on it.
This place is so nice, I thought to myself. I wonder if all the rooms look as nice as  this one.
Once I finally got settled on the bed, a nice nurse came in. The nurse was about 35 and took my vital signs. Then a not-so-well shaven older man who didn't look in any mood to play strutted into the room. He came in with another nurse who was about 25 who got straight to work by opening the cabinet on the left side of the room and pulling out some tools.
He introduced himself, "Hello my name is Doctor Greene, and I heard that you are worried that you have staph in your knee, is that correct?" while he inspected my knee.
"Yeah, as you can see, my knee doesn't look in the best shape right now," I said,  gesturing towards my knee.
Dr. Greene looked at my knee inspecting it closely and slightly touching it. "Yes it does look like staph, so you wouldn't mind if we took a sample to analyze would you?" he said.
"No, I wouldn't mind at all," I responded
"Wonderful! Then we will get straight to work." Then from nowhere he pulled out a needle longer than my outstretched hand. He very quickly stuck the needle into my knee and sucked up what little fluid he could and packaged it away just as quickly as he made it appear.
"We will also be starting you on a IV," he said while stepping out of the way for the giant 5 foot tall metal holder. The bottom of the holder had 4 rotating wheels so it could move, and the top had a trident shape for the clear sack with tubes pouring out of everywhere.
"We will put these two tubes into the underside of your arm and get you on antibiotics right now. If you have staph the sooner we get the medicine in you the better, and if it turns out you do not have staph, then there are no side effects of the medicine."
Then the nurses took the two tubes and carefully put them into the underside of my right arm.
"Do you feel anything... weird?" The older nurse asked.
"No, it just tickles a little," I responded, feeling around with my left hand.
"Okay good, that's completely normal," she said. "Now we will get busy getting the results from our injection."
"We also have some socks for you, to help keep you from slipping." And the younger nurse handed me a pair of blue socks with "V" shapes on the bottom which was sticky.
"Now we will let you be and let the IV settle in and I will see you in 2 hours." said Dr. Greene and he started for the door with the nurses.
I spent the next two hours trying to settle in and get used to all the different things going on. I found out that there was a game of bingo going on in the game room down the hall in a little bit so I told myself I would go after Dr. Greene visits again.
"Okay we got the results back," Dr. Greene said. "It turns out you do have staph and will need to stay overnight for examination," while he was stroking his almost bald head. "One of the nice nurses here will be coming in every 3 hours to check your vital signs, so make sure you are in this room in 3 hours." then he gestured toward the nurses that it was time to go, and he left.
After everyone was gone I left to go to the "game room". I walked down the long perfectly clean hall after slipping on my new socks and trying them out. I dragged the IV stand out into the hallway and started for the end of the hall to my left, where the game room was.
The floor was very slick, so I was very glad for the socks because without them I would have had trouble getting around. I walked very carefully not to put pressure on my knee. After getting to the end of the hall, there was a sign outside saying "game room" in orange and blue.
Once I was inside, I walked across the carpeted floor pulling the IV behind me. The room was about 5 degrees warmer than the hallway and just smelled of sweat. The right wall was lined with consoles, Game Cubes and Playstation 2's all of which were filled with people playing Mario Kart.
Many of the other children on the games had no hair, presumably from chemotherapy. looking around the room it seemed like many children had also been in the hospital for many days if not weeks. Many had clothes that the hospital administered and some were wearing the same socks as me.
I walked over to the left of the games and saw a cart full of toys and bingo cards. I picked  up a card and headed for the "bingo room". To walk inside the room which was a giant round blob in the middle of the room, I had to walk past another child who was in a rolling bed, and when I walked in I saw a girl with an IV like mine, she had long black hair and looked about my age so I sat down next to her.
We talked for a while because there was 5 minutes before bingo started and more people were cramming into the tiny stuffy space. "Why are you in here?" she asked me.
"I have staph in my knee," I said.
"Oh," she said "that sucks."
While talking, I looked around the room and saw that everyone in the room had it worse than me. Some of the children that I had talked to earlier had been in the hospital for weeks. A lot had no hair, and there were 2 children who couldn't leave their beds.
Thinking about this made me realize that even in the hospital, even in this situation that most people would like to avoid, I had the better side of the deal. I am the lucky one, and that no matter where I am, someone has it worse.I am blessed, and need to use this blessing in whatever way I can.


The author's comments:

Story of when I had Staph and learning about how blessed I am.