The Day My Music Died | Teen Ink

The Day My Music Died

December 3, 2014
By Anonymous

It happened so fast, like a flash of light or a bolt of lightning. Ever known someone or something for so long, never even considering that fact that they might leave, but then they do. That's what I felt when my grandmother said goodbye forever. I remember the last time I talked to her. She was very old, 94 to be exact. Her soft, wrinkled skin clung to her small bones, bruises scattered in random places. I sat quietly in a chair near to the hospital bed, while my dad sat next to her, holding her hand and alking to her. Her eyes weren't open, and her breathing was sudden shallow inhales. I had my earbuds in an was listening to my music. My brother lay asleep on the chair next to me, his breathing louder than my grandmothers. My aunt and uncle showed up with my cousin and his fiancee. They talked to my sleeping grandmother for a while, telling her that they loved her and repeating funny events that they had with her. She sometimes coughed, but remained asleep. She only awoke once and smiled at us, barely wispering something i couldn't hear. Once we started to leave, my ipod power was drained. As i pulled out my earbuds, i stared at the thoughtfully before i slipped them back into my bag. Taking one last glance at my grandmother's weak body, i hurried out with my dad.

 

A couple months later, we recieved the news that she had passed away peacefully in her sleep. My family had a meeting in our livingroom where my Dad broke the news to us. After explaining where the funeral was to be, we all walked back into our rooms. I felt alone. I hadn't seen my grandmother any other time in the period of those months. I cried for a while on my bed, beseiged with sorrow and a feeling of utter loss. Trying to ease my sorrow, i pulled my earbuds into my ears. But when i tried to turn the power on, the battery was drained. Completely dead.