The End of the Beginning | Teen Ink

The End of the Beginning

November 21, 2014
By saarahaagosta BRONZE, Bethpage, New York
saarahaagosta BRONZE, Bethpage, New York
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"there is always light at the end of the tunnel" "you are stronger than you will ever know"


The world would be a better place if we didn’t have to lose those we love. Seven months ago you lost your best friend, role model and most importantly, your great grandma. Your great grandma meant the world to you,; everywhere you go, you see so many things that remind you of her. Even though times are rough, you're trying your best to get through them. It’s kind of ironic how she died a year after her son, your grandpa, died. You and your family are going through a lot but remain to stay strong, especially you. You remember seeing her in hospice, but you’re not sure if she totally understood everything you said. It was hard to see her laying there but you were happy when you heard her say, "I love you all so much." As you think about that day you hope that she is up there in a better place, looking down at you saying, “I’m so proud of my beautiful great granddaughter." When she was still here she would always make you laugh and smile because of the fantastic stories she told. You also recall the time when she would make pizza on Sundays for fifteen of you.  Then you start to think about how you held her hand crying and saying, “It is going to be alright; I love you grandma." Now all you have on your mind is her; you can’t think about her without crying. Sometimes you wish she that she was still here watching you grow up. Twelve years ago you found out that she was diagnosed with cancer in her eye. The doctors said, “We don’t think that she will make it much longer," but she lived till 96, which is pretty amazing to have known her for thirteen years. You’re so proud of yourself to be able to say, “I was so lucky to meet someone who changed my life forever, thank you for being such a strong and amazing great grandma." Even though you sometimes cry over her, you know that she is right by your side even though you can't see her. You think of her voice saying, “If you listen with your heart, you’ll hear all of my love around you soft and clear." Today while you're sitting here writing about a wonderful woman, you hear the song, “Do Not Be Afraid," which was one of the things your grandma always said to you. It’s the day of the wake and you get a beautiful mass card that totally describes what she would do; it says, “And then, when you must come this way alone, I’ll greet you with a smile and say, 'Welcome Home.'"  It was a sad ending to a beautiful beginning.