My Volleyball Experience | Teen Ink

My Volleyball Experience

November 2, 2014
By Anonymous

I was shaking as i walked out of the locker room in my PE shorts and a t-shirt. Today, Monday, October 7, 2013, was the first day of volleyball tryouts at Kennedy Middle School. It was a new school to me, so I did not know what to expect. I set my backpack down next to the green bleachers and ran over to my friends. 2 minutes later, the coach walked out of the boys PE office. He was tall, with golden hair covered by a black cap saying, “Kennedy Physical Education”. His name was Mr. Russell, a PE coach for 6th and 7th graders. He walked into the middle of the court and screamed, “Are you ready to have some fun, ladies?” We all laughed as he started to introduce himself and talk about the tryouts. He said, “Girls, today and tomorrow, i will evaluate you and on Wednesday, I will start thinking about cutting people. The first cut will be on Thursday and the second, and final cut, will be on next Tuesday.” At first, I smiled thinking this would be a piece of cake, and then it hit me. I was going to Savannah, Georgia on Thursday! I was too prepared and too awesome to be cut. I decided to tell Mr.Russell the day before I leave.
The next few days were a breeze. On Monday, we worked on passing nicely in a circle and setting the ball to one another. On Tuesday we had to do serving. I was kind of scared because even though I had learned for 4 years already, i was still not confident on doing overhand serves. Before we started, I looked around and saw some high-schoolers that came to help out with the 7th grade tryouts. One of them was extremely good at overhand serving. Like a weird person, i pointed hands to her and said, “I am taking all your overhand techniques and using them.” I turned around to serve the ball. And guess what. It made! After that all my serves made over. Finally, on Wednesday, we got into game play. At the end of practice, I called my dad over to come talk to the coach. I slowly said, “Um...Mr.Russell? I won’t be able to come to the tryout tomorrow because I will be out of town.” My dad, butting in, said, “Is it possible she could have another chance when she comes back?” Mr.Russell replied, “Sure she can.” I jumped for joy in my mind. I could still make it.
As soon as I walked into my house after coming back from Savannah, I got onto my computer to talk to one of my friends. I frantically asked, “Was my name on the rooster? Did i make the first cut?????” She replied, “No. But I made the cut!” As soon as i read those last words, my body boiled up in anger. It wasnt fair! He said I would get a chance.
My mom was so anger, after school on Tuesday, October 15, she stormed over to Mr. Russell during the tryout, with me at her heel. She stepped in front of him and said, “Excuse me, but my daughter tried out for the volleyball team and she had to leave in the middle, but her name was not on the sheet when you said that you would give her a chance.” He replied obnoxiously, “Can’t you see I am conducting a tryout?” She slowly said, “I can see that. But i just want to know why you did not choose her.” And he said, “I did not see anything in her.”
That killed my mom later. From that day forward, she despised Mr. Russell and so did. I was determined to make the team next year in 2014. And i did.