Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

Proud to be an American

November 7, 2014
By Jerzeygirl GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jerzeygirl GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Bright lights, narrow sidewalks, and overpriced boutiques. What is the first thing that comes to mind when hearing these words? I think of my childhood.


Growing up near New York city, the most famous city in America, was memorable. Every birthday party as a little girl was at the American Girl Doll Factory. And as I became older, I would go shopping in the city with my friends. Not every teenager gets to say they had the same opportunity.


In second grade I met a girl named Abby. I had no idea she would end up being my best friend. We looked similar and occasionally got mixed up in class. We became such good friends that we started telling people we were sisters, and everyone believed us because we were always together.  Abby and I did everything together; from winter break in the Poconos, to summer at the shore,; we were inseparable. Our families became friends and we created new traditions with them. 


Every Christmas, we would wake up bright and early and attend church together. On Halloween, we would throw a party and go all out in costumes and decorations. Every birthday, I would come over and sing Happy Birthday to her with her family, and we would put frosting on her nose and laugh as she would try to lick it off.


Growing up in New Jersey was fun, but none of my extended family lived near me. Families in New Jersey took us under their wing and made us part of their family. Our neighbors, the Youngbergs, were practically family. I called them my aunt and uncle and I even treated their Popop and Grandma like my own.


We created great memories together. On New Year’s Eve, we would stay up until midnight  and my cousins and I would put together a play to entertain the adults until the ball was about to drop. In America the majority of people are nice to one another, and trustworthy; other countries don’t act the same. I am glad I was born and raised in America, there is no place I would rather be.