American | Teen Ink

American

By Taylor03 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Taylor03 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Suburbia: a place where kids run the streets, where there are country clubs, and where everyone gets together on Friday nights to watch the high  school football games.  It’s a place where kids feel safe and parents are comfortable letting them roam.
Hartland, Wisconsin, would be an example of American suburbia. Everywhere I  look, I see young kids riding their bikes, longboards, or scooters on the sidewalks. I see families walking their dogs in the neighborhoods. And I see groups families standing together, chatting after dinner. It makes me happy to see all of the families in the neighborhoods getting together, it shows that the neighborhoods really are safe places for families.
As a kid, my neighborhood was filled with people. In the summer, older kids in my neighborhood helped my brother and I have lemonade stands. They helped make the lemonade, and then we would load up our mini battery powered John Deere tractor and drive to the end of the road. We would all set up our table, get our box ready for the money, and wait. All of the neighborhood kids and I would sit at our table and wait for all of our parents to drive by.
In the summer, every family in my neighborhood would eat dinner around the same time and when I was done I would go outside until enough people came outside to play. Over the course of the summer we played every night game imaginable. The kids in my neighborhood would stay out until our parents called us in around 10 o’clock, which I thought was very late. But since my parents trusted the neighborhood I could stay out like everyone else. Which I think is very unique to America.
Everything from riding bikes, to lemonade stands, to staying out late makes me proud to say I live in America and that I have the freedom to roam my neighborhood. There are many countries in where families don't feel safe enough to have their children roam the streets alone. It is a privilege to live in America.