Smalltown, USA | Teen Ink

Smalltown, USA

For me, the hardest part of writing any rhythmic haiku, persuasive essay, fictional story, or other form of writing is making a decision on what information, the structure, and the tone of which to write in. While pondering on what to write on I was in my usual hardcore thinking atmosphere; perched in the middle of my bed, country music playing, door open so I can hear what my parents are talking about in the living room, and my cat circling me and my materials scattered across my bed. The song “Smalltown USA” by Justin Moore began playing quietly on my iHome. I sat my laptop aside and made my way over to the stereo to turn the volume up so I could listen closer to the lyrics. “These are my roots and this is what I love. Cause everybody knows me and I know them and I believe that’s the way we are supposed to live. I wouldn’t trade one single day here in Smalltown, USA” It’s kind of scary how one song can so closely relate to the life of someone in a small town.

I have been raised in a small town. A town where a high school basketball game leaves main street looking deserted, you always see multiple friendly faces at the gas station that are always ready to talk, and bad news or good news draws the attention and support of the community. It’s great, even heartwarming, to know that everyone knows you, and is behind you for support.

“A lot of people called it prison when I was growing up.” In the past, I have thought of how I wished I could live somewhere a little more populated, or at least somewhere a little closer to a Walmart, Dunkin Donuts, or a mall. Now I am glad I grew up in this small, close-knit town. Where everybody knows everybody, their aunts, uncles, cousins, girlfriends, boyfriends, their complete extended family, and probably know where they live. Someone living in the City may find this a little strange. ‘What if you have an enemy? Or someone that knows you just came upon some money? They won’t break into your house and steel stuff, or hurt you?’ It’s not like that at all. Many people leave their doors unlocked when they depart.  You can’t understand the reality of a small town until you have experienced it. “I’m proud to say I love this place. Good ole Smalltown, USA”

“Around here we break our backs just to earn a buck.” The jobs of lobster fishing, clamming, periwinkling, muscle dragging, quahog dragging, scallop dragging, and many more jobs focused on the ocean. These dangerous jobs have claimed the lives of many men, some being part of my family. The dedication of the men and women to these jobs shows the youth of the community what hard work is. I am happy knowing that I have been raised with a good work ethic which was not only taught to me by my hard working parents, but by a community of    hard workers. Of course there are the ones that are not so hard working, but that is exemplary behavior of what not to do. 

Music, along with making the quiet less awkward, can make a change in a life. I listen to country music because it connects to my life. I don’t have a jacked up truck, I don’t go mudding, and I don’t drink, but I still consider myself country. Country music isn’t just about tractors, trucks, and girlfriends. It is about life, and a way of living. It is not only country music that life can be related to, but all genres of music.

“For me, singing sad songs often has a way of healing a situation. It gets the hurt out in the open into the light, out of the darkness.”
-Reba McEntire

As a four year veteran of our highschool band. I have a special connection and love for music and believe it can be an influence to anyone.