(Un(Perfect Day | Teen Ink

(Un(Perfect Day

October 16, 2014
By AmandaHarvey BRONZE, Rochester, Michigan
AmandaHarvey BRONZE, Rochester, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


  The waves lapsed over the ridged rocks that lay on the perimeter of the crystal clear water. The sun beamed down on us as we lay on the uneven, smooth wooden dock. Sunscreen was the summer’s air freshener with the smell permanently embedded in our noses.  The caw of overenthusiastic seagulls and laughing of little kids enjoying the perfect day was the soundtrack to the afternoon because of its constant presence. The sky was naked of clouds and the color was a blue that seemed impossibly exquisite. Torch Lake was a place that could make even the saddest person in the world, over flowed with happiness. With my best friends Julia, Jenna, and Bella by my side, I could not be more content with my life. Nothing could ruin this day…. So I thought.



        We tanned on the dock, deciding upon what activities to do next, Julia professed her great idea.                                                                                                                                        “How ‘bout we go for a Jet Ski ride?!”                                                                                           We could all agree that nothing is better than going for a ride. We gathered up the various sizes of life-jackets, fit to our different sizes. As we backed out of the hoist a sudden loud screech yelled out, signaling that the gas was near empty. This wasn’t a big problem so we would just quickly go get gas, and then proceed on our expedition around the lake.  When arriving at the gas dock, we noticed our friends that were all relaxing in a brilliant, yellow boat.                                                                                                                         “Hey! Wanna meet in the middle of the lake?”  They asked.                                                        Eager for something to do, we excitedly agreed on going.

                After meeting up with them, in the dead center of the immense lake, we decided to take them on a Jet Ski ride race, an idea that seemed harmless at the time. Even though we exceeded the weight limit. The speed increased with each second until it reached its maximum potential of 70. As we glided over the water, as if flying, there came an unnaturally large wave, in our direct path. Without any time to react, the wave engulfed us, sending us flying. The wave sent Jenna, Mitch, and I soaring. Our bodies were like rag-dolls being thrown. The water exerted its force on my air-born body, sending sharp, simultaneous shots of enormous pain. Everything went silent, and dark as night.
                The next thing I knew, Jenna was saying my name as I floated in the ice-cold water. My left side under my ribs was in excruciating pain and breathing was not as easy as it should always be. I knew something was horribly wrong.                                                      “Alright, we have to go back, like right now.” Julia informed, taking control of the situation.                                                                                                                                           After just barely getting myself on the Jet Ski, with the help of Jenna, we slowly made our way home. When we reached the dock, where my mom had been sitting, she immediately knew something was wrong. Jolting up from her seat she frantically jumped into the water, in order to help me get onto the dock. The pain in my side grew with each passing minute. After getting me out of the water, my mom quickly called an ambulance, they arrived within 15 minutes. I lay on the dock shivering, wanting to wake up form this nightmare. The ambulance arrived and carried on a stretcher and was immediately rushed to the place I despise most in this world-the hospital.
Every time I opened my mouth to talk, nothing would come out.                                         “You’re going to be okay Mandy, don’t worry.” My mom proclaimed fighting back tears that were trying to escape her sorrow-filled eyes.                                                                     After the, what felt like a lifetime, ride to the hospital, I was taken to a room where there were at least 15 doctors and nurses. I was pelted with question after question, usually asked the same question multiple times.                                                                                                                                                "What happened?"                                                                                                                    "Where does it hurt?"                                                                                                                  "What's your pain level?"                                                                                                                              I answered each question to the best of my ability, trying to be as helpful as possible. I was trying to stay strong, but I couldn’t deny the pain I was feeling.                               “Well, she has a ruptured spleen, unfortunately.” The doctor explained.                              He told us how we would have to wait a couple days, and if all goes perfect, I wouldn’t need surgery. Days felt like years in the uncomfortable bed of ICU at the hospital. Boredom set in, so, sleeping became the highlight of the day. Dreams were my escape route where nothing was wrong.  After hearing that I would not have to get surgery, it was if a weight as lifted off my shoulders.
After one long week of forcing down cardboard "food", getting continuously injected with needles, and whatever else I had to encounter that aided my recovery, i was finally out. I could return to my cozy cottage, sleeping in my own bed, eating my own food, and no more needles. I was free of the hospital, but still a prisoner of the pain. Although i was overwhelmed with embarrassment and regret from my carelessness that put myself and others in serious danger.