New Experience | Teen Ink

New Experience

October 13, 2014
By Kianna96 BRONZE, Sebastopol, California
Kianna96 BRONZE, Sebastopol, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This past summer my family and I transitioned from city to country life. It was a difficult two day move, which consisted of five moving trucks and two different trips. I was born and raised in the city, I was completely unaware of this other lifestyle.
I remember sitting in the backseat as we drove to the new house. I stared out the window, trying to absorb this new landscape. Agricultural fields and livestock replaced skyscrapers and busy streets in which I was so accustomed to viewing. Suddenly my step-father turned into a rocky road, we drove down this unfamiliar type of road we then pulled into a long driveway. Once we reached the house I was completely astonished, there stood a log cabin. To the right of the house was a fenced in meadow with a barn placed directly in the center. My brother and I explored the land before we explored the house. We walked the 40 acre property line, and then explored the inside of the barn.
After we explored the property and became more familiar with this alien landscape, we then helped my parents with the tedious task of unpacking the moving trucks. The house went from being spacious and open, to being covered from floor to ceiling in moving boxes. We placed mattresses in bedrooms, unpacked blankets and covers and called it a night. Everyone was exhausted from the journey.
I will never forget the sensation from the first night in the new house. Crickets and the sound of locusts filled the silence. I peaked out my window and for the first time I was able to clearly see thousands of stars which filled the night sky. The moonlight, lit the yard. It was a breathtaking sight.