Warped Tour | Teen Ink

Warped Tour

Breath. Breath. BREATH!!! I was yelling at myself on the inside because Im loosing air. It feels like I’m suffocating. To make it worse its about a billion degrees. Claustrophobia and Asthma does not go well with Warped Tour. I had waited in line in the shade for an hour which  wasn’t bad because it was pretty spread out. But now as I’m waiting for the gate to open smoke in my face and the smell of weed lingering in the air I feel like I’m about to die. They better open these gates soon I thought to myself. Something must have heard my prayers because the gates slowly opened and people ran through the doors me following close by. I was stopped by my mother yelling at me to stay together. When my family and my friend caught up with me my mom gave me 20$ and said to stay with my friend then sent us off.

As we walked there were different kinds of  booths ones with drinks or food plus ones with the bands names on top and the band’s merchandise on the inside there also was posters or bracelets and if you got one then you could meet the band. I grabbed like 7. There were quite a few different stages and they were spread across grass and pavement. But, right in the center of everything was a tall blow up and on the top was written in big letters, ‘WARP TOUR ’14’ then below was all the bands and there times. We figured out our schedule and the first band we wanted to see started at 2:00 p.m. I looked at my clock and it was only 11:30 a.m.

We still had quite awhile so we decided to find this place that my brother told me about. 1 week before Warp Tour my oldest brother Josh told us about what todo. He went last year so he knew the in and outs of it. He told me that when his friends were at their most tired point they were looking for a place to sit down. They just had come out of We Came as Romans which is a pretty intense screaming band so I was not surprised they were exhausted. Josh and his friends searched for a while and finally came to the conclusion that there was no where to sit and relax, until Josh noticed a building and motioned for his friends to follow him over to it. Josh pushed one of the doors open and they all were about to cry. They stepped in to an air-conditioned room that had cement floors and metal walls, but was completely empty, they were so happy. So while waiting for the first band to start we went in search of the amazing building to make sure we knew where it was. Now Josh had told me it was very far left so we started walking away from the big blow up that had the time and headed left passing booths, games, and food, not to mention a lot ton of people. But, we didn't find the beautiful metal box and Josh was not there to help because he went off on a mission 2 days before Warp Tour.

After buying a few shirts and hats we decided to head over to one of the stages for out first band, Mayday Parade. We still had about and hour and a half but there were bands playing on the same stage before our band so were just were off to the side listening to other bands. I knew it was going to get crowded for Mayday so When people starting dispersing out because this band was over my friend and I swooped in and got to the front. This stage was quite a big one and we were against a black barrier that was a few feet away form the stage but still pretty close. We had half an hour for them to set up and my feet hurt from standing and the ground wasn’t terribly messy so I decided to sit down and play on my phone till they got out. When more people started gathering I didn’t want to someones butt or crotch in my face so I stood up and its a good thing I did because as I looked out to the crowed there were so many people and you were so close that I didn’t know if this was my sweat or the person next to me. Finally the announcer came on saying that Mayday Parade would be out in 2 minutes and I was practically bouncing of walls. Then all the sudden it felt like the world just stopped as they walked on stage and the singer was beautiful! Everything was was going in slow motion and they started sing their first song called ‘Black Cat’ and then all at once reality came and hit me like a bus… well technically it was a guy jumping around them shoved me into my friend. I din’t care though, because I had already been pushed around over 200 times in the 2 hours I have been here. When I finally realized what song was playing I started belting out the lyrics along with my friend. After the song they talked for a bit sang some more, talked, sang some more, but before I knew it, it was their last song. I was sad, but it was also my favorite song, Jersey. I was screaming, crying, and yelling lyrics. Sadly,  the song ended and the singer said goodbye and walked off. Then my friend said good luck and I started pushing through the sweaty bodies almost suffocating to get of there. The barrier was fun, but to get out of the front… I was about to die and I not even over exaggerating!

When I made out of the mass of people I headed over to a different stage to watch We are the Incrowed. My friend had stayed behind because she wanted to see We the Kings, but the bands were at the same time so we had the great idea to split up, without a meeting spot. When I got there no one was at the barrier so I took it for myself. I waited and waited until a band came on stage… which wasn’t my band and they weren’t very good either so I sat down on the ground again , not being harmed because it was a smaller crowd and stage.

After a good hour or so had passed and the crappy band had left my band was next! But, being the lazy person I am, I was still seated on the ground with my phone in my hand. Then a song that I had heard before came on so I got up and We are the Incrowed walked on stage. I got the same feeling I had got from Mayday which was intense but the funny thing was I didn’t get pushed out of this one I was being pulled. I looked around and I didn’t see anything but the sky so I looked up and realized I was crowd surfing! It was the best thing ever and it was good thing I only did a loop and not get pushed to the back of the crowd, so I got put right back where I was at the front. The lead singer, Tay started talking and I was only kind of listening because I was taking pics for my brother Josh because I swear he is in love with this girl. She started to sing my favorite song from them and I was just jamming out and screaming the lyrics. This went on for a while until she said this was their last song and then she continued singing, but time she started walking closer to us and the security guards grabbed her feet to stable her and next thing I know she grabbed my hand so she could stand up. I was having a GIANT freakout on the inside because she did not let go she only held on tighter! But, sadly, she let go when the song ended and they said their goodbyes and walked off stage.

I went to go find my friend but when I got to the stage where she would be the crowd was bigger than Mayday and thats saying something. I started to get worried that I was not going to find her, then my mom called me saying it was time to go and my friend, Taylor and I should meet them at the front. I walked up to where my mom was she asked where Taylor went and told her that I had lost her. Now, my mom had to go to this stupid symphony so thats why we had to leave early, but were probably looking around for at least an hour until we talked to a police/security guard to help us find her. We showed him a picture and he wrote down what she looked like then used his walkie talkie thing to tell other security guards to keep a look out for her. We kept walking and I called here at least 30 times and one of our other “friends” to ask if they had seen her either. Nothing was happening so I was starting to get scared, then my mom yelled at me saying ‘LOOK!’ I looked dead ahead of us to see Taylor eating pizza on the ground surrounded by other junk food. She looked up about the same time I did and you could see the relief flooding onto her face. We both ran at each other and enveloped each other in a huge hug. Mom told us we had to go so Taylor and I agreed to tell what happened in the car.

Here we were, pushing through sweat bodies to get out this time and when we got in the car I realized how much c**p I got. My dad sat int he drivers my mom by his side and Taylor and I were discussing what happened. I was still pretty mad though because for my parents to go to this stupid symphony we had to miss my 3 favorite bands. THREE! But, all in all it was a great trip.

This is my expirenece of my frist Warped tour and just tells about it.