the devastating | Teen Ink

the devastating

September 15, 2014
By chrisp12 BRONZE, Sylmar, California
chrisp12 BRONZE, Sylmar, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A historical event that happened was that a huge earthquake had occurred a while ago back around twenty years ago in 1994. So many things were damaged many people died and it had a tremendous impact in many families. None of my three brothers or myself were born yet but my parents and other family members were and to this day, ten years later they don't like  to talk about it they have told me that its the biggest earthquake they had ever experienced in the entire life .  I didn’t interview my parents but I also asked them and my other family members  about it and I was so glad I didn’t go through that.

For this assignment I interviewed my advisory teacher Mr.k and he mentioned to me a lot of events that happened and what he had been through throughout his life but the earthquake was the one that caught my attention. I think the reason why that one caught my attention was because I know a lot of people who experienced it and to me personally its a scary thing and also because I remember my sixth grade teacher telling me about it when I had him as my teacher. But anyways he had told me that  the northridge earthquake was just terrible because so many people lost their lives and that he was grateful to have been ok when that had happened. he had told me “my roommate lived where I live now which is at sherman oaks, the apartments there collapsed on each other and the cars were sandwiched sense there were parked underneath the apartments that tumbled down”. I can't imagine all those people who lost their belongings and the homes and kind of everything they had because of the earthquake even though I wasn't born yet I know it was a hard time for a lot of people when  this had happened. He mentioned to me that he was home asleep because he had gotten home at around 12:30 that night because he was coming home from fresno but before he had arrived home he told me that he stopped at a rest stop at cow grove and took a 30 nap because he was feeling tired. when he woke up he was debating whether he should stay there the night or go home but then he decided to go home that there would be another rest stop if he got sleepy again and he told me “ if I had stayed at cow grove, thats where the bridge collapsed” when he said that it got me the chills because he was lucky he decided to go home because he might had gotten injured badly or even maybe had died. Well the earthquake happened around 4:30 that night and it woke him up obviously it probably woke everyone up and thankfully nothing big had happened just a couple cracks to his house. He told me that when it was over he went to check the news and no channels were working besides channel seven news and that he remembers the reporter looked like a “alien from outer space” because he was covered in white dust and he mentioned that an officer was on the freeway but wasnt aware that a section of the freeway has collapsed and he just flew of the ramp and died instantly also about two teenage girls that were on the santa monica freeway and it spit around ten feet apart and they slammed right into the gap and died instantly.
My last question for him was if he has prepared for another earthquake that might happen later on in the future and if he thinks there's one coming soon and also what's his american dream? He responded with “ there's one coming no doubt about it and its been ten years since the northridge one happened so i know there's one coming but no im not worried about it and when the time comes i'll see what ill do”. To me it seems like hes a tough and brave person and thats good that he is. He said that his american dream was to raise a healthy family and give them all the things he never had when he was growing up and to make his family stronger . Till this day he’s still trying his best to make his family stronger in many ways and to give them a better education than he had when he was younger and he's hoping that his family is going to good in general.


.