Hidden Treasure | Teen Ink

Hidden Treasure

By mtarantino3 BRONZE, West Roxbury, Massachusetts
mtarantino3 BRONZE, West Roxbury, Massachusetts

Toys were knocked down like a game of jenga; dolls were thrown everywhere as if remote control planes were crashing. The disheveled stuffed animals were screaming for help, but my boss remained calm and pleasant as a mother apologized for her children’s behavior repeatedly like a talking parrot puppet. This was my first experience at the toy store, Kids R Kids, a mother who came in with two unruly boys that made the toy shelves fear them. I was so aggravated that I would be the one to clean this mess, I could feel my blood rise to my head and my heart-beat racing like the beat of drums. She was above and beyond the stereotypical customer who thinks we are their servants to clean up after their entitled child; I was perplexed. Usually my boss would say something or infer for me to clean up. As I was picking up the hundreds of dumped lollipops on the floor, I caught the silent but reserved face of my boss. It took only seconds for her to catch my glance and say these twin boys are autistic. I froze, collected myself, and looked at the mom who was trying so hard to shop and control her boys. My knees felt like jello, but somehow, silently I picked up on my boss’s behavior. I found strength, composure, and the willingness to clean up with a smile, and most of all, make the mom feel comfortable and at ease. I was humbled.

I have learned a toy store is good for all ages, for all types of people, like Frankie. My fear of him the first time he entered into the store is one I will never forget. A black man, in his fifties, dressed in red sweats under black shorts, black batman vest, huge cape hanging low to his knees, a straw hat, chains and whistles and tons of keys hanging around his neck, tongue hanging out. Horrified, I looked at my boss anticipating a similar reaction. Customers looked shocked, except my boss. “Well, hello, Frankie!” She welcomed him loudly as she looked around the store to catch people’s attention. “How many lollipops are you going to earn today?” The strange man looked up slowly, smiled and said, “How bout only one, one ta-day, the rest fa the little chilren?” My boss picked up the bin of lollipops. He takes a minute to choose which color and then full of excitement yells, “Thak you, thak you, do you have anythin fa me to do taday? Well, if you don’t, I’ll be on my way.” And off he went with a huge smile, proudly holding his lollipop like a trophy. “Dis is the best toy store in the whole wade world! Yes, it is.” He left as all the customers had a smile, nodding positively.

The toy store has been a toy chest full of stories that continue to fill the chapters of my life. I learned Frankie, a special needs man, comes in daily for a lollipop and looks at the toys. I have learned to love Frankie, and listen to him and learn more about him.

Four years working there to contribute towards my college fund has given me an education of a lifetime. Now, I don’t need my boss to step up. I do it on my own. I have matured and grown in empathy, compassion, and understanding. My experience at Kids R Kids has been treasured. Amongst the sales, creating window displays, inventory taking, unpacking boxes, and selecting toys for happy little children, I have my little stories that have made my heart as big as “the whole wade world” as Frankie would say.

on May. 28 2014 at 4:58 am
Sunshine2420 SILVER, Unknown, Other

A smile hides everything.

Just three words : I Love It ;)