Last Day of School, First Day of Life | Teen Ink

Last Day of School, First Day of Life

By writer99 GOLD, Rochester Hills, Michigan
writer99 GOLD, Rochester Hills, Michigan

How odd is it to think that my time in high school is finally done? I sit here in my last class and look around at the familiar faces. I know them, but I really don't. We call each other by name and ask questions about assignments. We notice each other at lunch but refuse to take the friendship any further. How odd it is to be done with high school, but to not even understand life?

We don't even know the first thing about relationships. We can't even look someone in the eye once out of sight of the classroom. Why do they teach us how to follow directions and how to pass a class without trying, yet they can't even teach us about humanity?

Today is the first day of my life. Today is the day when I can step out into the world and form real friendships. To truly get to know someone and be able to allow them to get close to me as well. Today is the day where I leave my fears behind and face the world full throttle. Life doesn't come with a slow motion button, and I am ready for the fast ride to the top.

~Insert nostalgic yet completely emotionless feelings of leaving high school here~