Tan Gone Wrong | Teen Ink

Tan Gone Wrong

May 12, 2014
By typicalnicki SILVER, Schenectady, New York
typicalnicki SILVER, Schenectady, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Tis the prom season where girls go all out getting their acrylic nails put on, their hair and makeup done, and of course their fake tan on. I'm one of those girls this year as I attend my first prom and want everything to go perfect. I made all of my beauty appointments except one for a tan. I told my mom I wanted to do my own tan so I woudn't end up looking like an orange oompa loompa. I went to the store and looked all through the instant tan oils and lotions and found airbrush color in instant tan spray. I thought it was simple enough for me to handle. I went home and decided I was going to test it out so i sprayed it all over my legs and arms. The oil came out clear, but would cause an effect within two to three hours. I ended up going to sleep after all of the spray dried and woke up the next morning with lines of orange tan on my legs and arms. It looked TERRIBLE! Unfortunately, the morning was busy and I had to wear long black leggings and a tshirt so I could go in public. Did I mention it was eighty degrees outside? As soon as I got home, I looked up home remedies on how to get spray tan off of my legs and ended up finding that the citric acid in lemon juice helps remove the layer of skin with the tan on it. I ended up scrubbing my legs with lemon juice and a towel for THREE hours to get the tan off!By that time my legs were beat red from the harsh scrubbing. Lets just say that next time, I'm going to pay the money for a spray tan or just go au natural.


The author's comments:
My experience with tanning spray gone wrong.