The Joy of Gifts | Teen Ink

The Joy of Gifts

By ChilledFire GOLD, Coimbatore, Other
ChilledFire GOLD, Coimbatore, Other

Friendship and happiness are inter-related: There can't be one without the other.

For weeks, I have been waiting for the package that Gran had sent from another country. It was exciting, enthralling even , as I waited in anticipation for the package. I knew she'd send a copy of my favorite magazine that was only available in Russian . She would send chocolates that I would promptly distribute among my classmates, occasionally a book, a sweater or a pair of tights, socks, hair accessories and other trifles as such.
The day arrived. I saw the package on the table. With my bare hands and a pair of scissors, I ripped open the brown packing and took out the contents. Being a bookie, I instantly took the magazines to my bedroom to flip through.
Birthdays, New Year and just regular days are my favorite days to give and to receive. I make sure to thank my grandparents and uncle for their lovely presents , through Skype.
Gifts are not just material. The happiness that comes with your friends and family, the joy that appears when one stands in the cool monsoon rain after a spell of heat and dryness, the elation of living, of being alive, these are some moments worth treasuring. Each tidbit and generous offer, every smile, every friend , every mother, father, sister, brother, grandparent, cousin and relation should be duly appreciated.
With this I conclude that the best moments in life are those that you will treasure forever, and on looking back, a smile and a nostalgic feeling crosses your mind.

I know that everyone loves to receive gifts . I myself eagerly anticipate what lies in the parcel that my grandparents send me from time to time. But I know that there are other things in life that one should enjoy and treasure.