The Magic | Teen Ink

The Magic

March 25, 2014
By rgirl13 BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
rgirl13 BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

KA-BOOM. I stared with my eyes wide in amazement at the firework finale in the midnight blue sky above the Cinderella castle that had turned into a multicolored glow stick. I wasn’t the only one who was entranced by the spectacular finale; other kids’ faces lit up like jack-o-lanterns, full of excitement and missing teeth. My father who stood beside me glanced down at me smiling. He winked and pointed towards my younger brother. The eight year old birthday boy was fast asleep cradled in his red and black stroller. Excuse me, Bug mobile. How anyone would be able to sleep on a night like this was beyond me. It was the perfect end to the perfect day at Walt Disney World and I would do just about anything to keep it from coming to a close. This feeling may have been intensified by the fact that tomorrow our family was flying home.
The explosions of light and color had come to an end leaving us with only the castle and the glowing spinning toys to guide us on our way out of the Magic Kingdom. The massive river of frantic yet tired parents and their excited kids flowed down the wide streets towards the numerous exit booths. My mother gripped both my sister’s and my hand so we wouldn’t get swept away in the current of sweaty bodies. My father joined the throng of people, craftily steering the Bug Mobile through the crowd. To keep up with him, my mom, sister, and I had to keep a steady paced jog.

Throughout the horde of people struggling to reach the exits, I caught site of one of the workers. It wasn’t unordinary to see the workers. They were all over the place: photographers waiting with their cameras ready for that one desperate family that needed one more picture on Main Street, clean-up crew members wielding brooms and sanitation gloves, and Disney characters hugging children good bye. For some odd reason, this one would have a large impact on my night. The worker was an ordinary blond girl in her twenties standing on the sidewalk away from the masses of people. On her hands were a pair of Mickey gloves and she was holding a sign that read ‘See y’all soon!’

All the sudden, I completely lost it. I knew I wasn’t coming back at least not for a couple of years. Even then it would never be the same, I was ten years old. I didn’t believe in princesses, knights, and fairytales anymore. After this trip, the magic would be lost. To try and hold on to it a little longer I looked back to see the Cinderella castle. Due to my lack of height the only thing I saw was enormous heads and feet about to trample me.

Surprised by my sudden outburst of tears, my mother stared down at me and said something. I wasn’t quite sure what it was because of the tears and the loud crowd. I wailed back in reply, “I can’t see the castle! I need to see the castle!” My mother tried to get the attention of my father who was busy running over the other visitors standing in the exit line with the Bug Mobile while I continued to lag behind trying to get a view of the castle.

Against my will, I was tugged through the exit line and towards the monorail. It was only on the monorail that my father realized what was going on. Salty tears were still dripping down my cheeks and I couldn’t make out words just loud syllables that no one could make sense of. My mom sat down and pulled me onto her lap trying to calm me down, “Shhh. It’s ok. I know this is the last day but wasn’t it a good trip? Can’t you focus on that and all of the good memories we made here?”

With a lurch the monorail started and we pulled away from the Magic Kingdom. Large windows allowed visitors to enjoy the scenery as we rode onwards but I wasn’t paying much attention to that; I was still moping. My dad tapped me on the shoulder and said, “Bird, look.”

I looked outside the window and the Cinderella Castle was gracefully looming in the distance. I looked up at my parents and gave them a tearful yet hopeful smile. Then I did remember all of the memories we created here and how my mom and dad enjoyed it here too. Though I may have been leaving the next day and our next visit may not be quite the same, I knew that the magic wouldn’t end here.