The Best Summer | Teen Ink

The Best Summer

March 4, 2014
By austenclarke BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
austenclarke BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This summer was my favorite summer; you won’t believe all the fun things I got to do. I didn’t have to go to summer school this year. Instead, I got to travel to Texas for vacation and to meet one of my aunts for the very first time and go to an NBA Finals game.

It all began at the end of my junior year when I found out I passed all my classes. I was happy and excited because my mom made it very clear to me if I didn’t pass my classes, I wouldn’t be going to Texas with the family in the summer. My sophomore summer, my family was planning on going to Oregon in the beginning of the summer but had to wait until the middle of the summer when I finished summer school. This was a bummer because I was holding the family back from what they wanted to do, thankfully we still got to go and we had a blast.

A week after finishing my junior year of high school, my family and I started our summer by taking a flight from Seattle, Washington to San Francisco, California. From San Francisco we flew to Houston, Texas and then to San Antonio. We started our adventure the day we got there; we went to the River Walk. The River Walk was in the mall of San Antonio, right by the food courts and the Hooters restaurant. On the River Walk we passed by a bunch of restaurants, bars clubs, and mini stores. At the end of the day at the River Walk, our last activity was a night tour of the River Walk and we got to learn some really interesting facts.

The second day we were in San Antonio, we went to the biggest waterpark in the world. This waterpark was so big that there was a bus that would drive you back and forth from one side of the park to the other. There were so many people at this park; it was unbelievable how big this park was. When we had gotten back to where we were staying, my aunt that lived in San Antonio saw one of my mother’s posts, and instant messages my mom if we wanted to meet up with her so she can officially meet me. The last time I saw her was when I was a year old, but when you’re a baby it’s hard to remember anything. So we met up the day after going to the waterpark to have lunch. This wasn’t planned, but it happened to be my birthday that day. We ate at a Mexican Restaurant and we talked, ate, and had a really good time. She told me a lot about how much she missed me and how she hasn’t seen me in 16 long years. It was nice talking the time to see my aunt and getting to know her. After returning home from our date with my aunt, my mother went online and bought my brother, my cousin, and me tickets to game 5 of the NBA Finals.

We met the guy with the tickets at a nearby store. They were $375 each for seats, 20 rows under the nose bleed seats. When we got into the game, we were so stoked. I remember having goose bumps crawl all over my arms when the ticket lady took our tickets, approving that they were real tickets. When we got to our seats, there was an hour before the game started. It was exciting; I could see all the professional basketball players warm up and stretching. I got to see LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, Chris Bosh, Manu Ginoboli, and the rest of the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs. When the game started, it was so loud I could barely hear what my brother and cousin were saying right next to me. I also couldn’t hear them partly because I was so into the game. The Spurs won game 5 of the NBA Finals which meant they were just one game away from becoming the NBA Champions. After the win, down town San Antonio got so crazy that police officers were ordered to close down the highway exit that lead down town.

Last summer was my favorite summer by far because of all the things I got to do. I’m really glad I passed all my classes because I wouldn’t have got to do all the things I got to do and meet my aunt. Going to my first NBA game which was a NBA Finals game was an awesome experience. Going to Texas was a whole lot of fun and I plan on going back after graduating to go visit my aunt.


The author's comments:
My friend inspired me to write this piece because I seen that he was writing about his favorite summer and what he did.