We Didn't Choose the Book Life — The Book Life Chose Us | Teen Ink

We Didn't Choose the Book Life — The Book Life Chose Us

December 16, 2013
By Alex_Mac BRONZE, Osler, Other
Alex_Mac BRONZE, Osler, Other
3 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!”
― Audrey Hepburn


It’s that time of year again. But as the Christmas season approaches, I find that I’m not as excited about the holidays as I was a year ago. Because what I’m really looking forward to is an event in February.

No, it’s not Valentine’s Day. It’s the day when Marissa Meyer’s new book, Cress, becomes available in bookstores all over the world.

Between the eighth and 10th of February, I will receive a special package from Amazon.ca in the mail. It will have my name on it (well actually, my dad’s name because I used his credit card, but that is beside the point). I will reach into the box and pull out that special book. Finally, after 365 days, Cress will be in my hands.

I might read the front and back flaps. I might even torture myself a bit and get a drink of water. Then I will dive in.

During the following few days, my schoolwork will be neglected, I won’t pay attention in class and I’ll respond with one-word answers to any questions. My parents and teachers will attempt to take Cress away from me. And I will cry, “Over my dead body!” in reply. Okay, I will think that — not say it out loud.

Such is the life of a bookworm suffering from chronic book obsession disorder.

We are prone to binge reading and often insist that Harry Potter is a real person. We live in a world of fiction and often ignore reality in favour of reading about The Hunger Games or whatever strikes our fancy at the moment.

It’s a hard life. I didn’t choose to be a bookworm, but really, what can I do? I’m hooked. It’s like I have been programmed to focus on books and nothing else.

I don’t think real life is as interesting as the world of the dystopian Selection series by Kiera Cass or the Realm of Westeros in Game of Thrones. Their characters never have to do homework.

Loving books is a cycle of pain. There’s a great deal of waiting involved and when the magical book is finally released, there is a week of happiness as I read and reread it five times.

And then the nagging questions accumulate in my mind and in my dreams. Who will Maxon choose to be his queen? Will Cinder triumph over evil Queen Levana? Is Jon Snow the lost Targaryen heir?

There are those lucky souls that win Advanced Reader Copies. They smugly post their reviews with a no spoiler assurance. These are not my favourite people. They smugly rub their joy in my face while withholding answers. I search for book reviews with spoilers, because to me, these are the next best option to the real thing.

So on Christmas night, after all of you have received everything you ever wished for and you’re playing with your new toys, think of me waiting, waiting…for February.