Zombies Are People Too This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I’m the biggest scaredy cat you will ever meet. So why am I watching Shaun of the Dead? My guess: I’m getting into the Halloween spirit.

Everything terrifies me; I’m that teenager who’s still scared of The Wizard of Oz. All of a sudden, when I’m scrolling Netflix to look at something to watch, I decide to watch Shaun of the Dead. I heard it was a funny movie, and who doesn’t love Simon Pegg? So why not give it a shot? I sit down on the couch, with a cup of green tea, and air-popped popcorn (this was the phase where I was trying to be healthier) and turn on the movie.

The movie began with a zombie epidemic casually starting, and the lead character, Shaun, drunkenly unaware of what was going on around him. As the movie began to pick up and more people began to “die,” I became more aware that I was home alone, and that the baseball bat was in the garage – a place I dare not go to at night. It’s not that the movie was scary – it was more of a stupid-funny scary than gory-creepy scary. Nonetheless, it gave me the feeling that a zombie apocalypse could be happening right now, and I’m not even realizing it.

When the movie ended, I took the extra precautions before I went to bed. I grabbed the badminton racket that I kept in my closet and brought it into bed with me, and kept all of the lights on downstairs. I figured that when my parents got home, I’d be asleep, and they’d turn out the lights for me. As I crawled into bed, about to rest my head on the pillow, I had a thought. Who were the 200 people that were zombies? This was an extremely random thought, but it began to bother me. What jobs did they have before? How old were they? How did they get bitten or scratched? What were they doing before they were infected? How many people did they kill? All of these questions led me to a very stupid realization: all of these zombies were people before, and you can’t help but feel sympathy for them.

In the movie, there was a zombie wearing a ripped-up purple dress. Was she on a date when she was infected? Was she married? Maybe she was cheating on her husband and karma came and bit her in the butt by turning her into a zombie. The poor child zombie wandering around in the movie was pretty heartbreaking as well. She even kept her teddy bear with her, even though she ripped its head off and began eating the stuffing. It made you wonder how old she was – maybe six or seven? Was she at school when zombies started taking over? Would she continue to grow old throughout the years as a zombie or would she stay as a 7-year-old for the rest of her immortal, zombie life? Imagine staying seven forever… On the bright side you’d have that youthful face for eternity, even if there were maggots coming out of your eye sockets.

No one thinks about these things. Zombies may be scary and may try to eat you, but they were once people too. They’re probably dealing with the same stuff you and I are – only they were the unlucky ones who happened to get bitten. Or maybe their life-long dream was to be a zombie. Who knows? So rather than being scared of zombies, maybe we should take a moment and feel bad for them. They didn't choose to be a zombies, they can’t help it. So when the zombie apocalypse starts, we should all keep in mind that the next time we see a zombie, rather than fear them – we should feel bad for them. And we will keep that sympathy in the back of our minds as we take an ax to their head in an effort to protect humankind.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

MarieEstherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 7:34 pm:
Simple, yet astoundingly compassionate and perceptive! Great job.