Insidious Women | Teen Ink

Insidious Women

By mothman BRONZE, Pine Bush, New York
mothman BRONZE, Pine Bush, New York

I am not.

Insidious women. They’re everywhere. And I guess I love it.

When I say “insidious”, the immediate connotations that come to everyone’s minds are 1.) Isn’t that a character from Star Wars? and 2.) Why would I love it if that word is so negative?

I will first have to clarify what I mean. The women I’m speaking about are the kind that most guys want to find. They’re the seductive girls, the cute ones that you can flirt with without a second thought, pretty and perfect, almost Barbie-ish I suppose. You go from feeling that you like these girls to feeling like you really and desperately need them.

But why insidious? Let me explain. These girls are the type that you’d expect to meet in Forever 21, or Hollister, or even Victoria’s Secret if you’re one of those weirdo guys who likes to mingle in lingerie stores. Rather, insidious women are more likely to be found in Wal-Mart, or the library, or anywhere else that you wouldn’t necessarily expect. They are more likely to be part of the basketball team than the cheerleading squad.

You see, “insidious” means, loosely, “developing so gradually as to be well established before becoming apparent”. In most cases it is applied to the concept of evil, but in reality it is twofold, and can literally mean anything that creeps up on you and either taps you on the shoulder or stabs you in the back.

The insidious girls I am in love with are not the kind that seem innocent and then turn out to be nasty or overtly sexual. The ones I have learned to appreciate are those girls that I have known for years and never really liked. The nice girls: pretty, yet plain, with quiet and kind personalities who don’t seem to make a splash on the world. You hang out with them as “just friends”, because you like them as a person and not as one of “those girls” to take advantage of. You see yourself as merely acquaintances until one day when a light dawns over the proverbial mountain of your relationship and you realize the truth:

You are in love.

You never even saw it coming. The girl insidiously trapped you in her wit and wonder, slowly, ever so slowly, encompassing your heart with her beauty. One second she was just a pretty face, and the next second she was something so much deeper. You begin to realize that maybe that cliché about loving those you keep close company with was more truthful than you thought.
And yet you’re not irritated that she stole your heart and soul when you weren’t looking. It’s so much better than the lust you would have had for the momentary-satisfaction girls. It’s a growing, breathing relationship that you never knew you had until it finally became starkly evident. You’re glad for it, because somehow you know that you never would appreciate the girl for who she really is if it weren’t for her insidious interjection into your life.

I have written numerous essays and short stories on teenage relationships. This one I just wrote today especially for Teen Ink magazine.
I believe that teen relationships are much more complicated than any other type of friendship that exists, and yet follow certain patterns that almost everyone can relate to. Capturing this in writing is an important and beautiful thing...I only feel that I haven't truly captured my personal philosophies due to my self-confessed incompetence in expressing myself through words. I hope that you can relate.