How to recognize the signs of being a mad writer: | Teen Ink

How to recognize the signs of being a mad writer:

October 4, 2013
By nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming
nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming
60 articles 11 photos 379 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.



Someone introduces themselves and you say “Oh what a pretty name!” and then murmur under your breath “Might steal that...”

You walk around murmuring about places, people and things that never existed and swear to whoever notices that you’re not crazy you have writer’s block.

You stare at musicians while they’re playing with an empty fish-like gaze because you can’t quite figure out how to narrate the movements of their graceful fingers and the beautiful sounds it produces.

You memorize the faces of strangers just because you think their face would look nice on one of your characters.

In class, you stare so intently at the teacher they seem a little creeped out. It’s because you just noticed they talk with their hands…You’ve never made up someone who’s done that before…Why didn’t you think of it?!

To those closest to you, you say things like “Good morning! I killed a man last night!” In a cheerful sing-song voice. Fortunately they know exactly what you’re talking about and say “Good. Didn’t like that guy anyhow…”

You’re prone to screaming “That’s it!” at the top of your lungs out of nowhere.

You either have ink on your hands all the time or carpel tunnel.

There are ink stains on everything you own.

Whilest shopping you say things like “Oh, _______(insert name of character here) would love this.” And then you hold up some random item.

Before going on vacation you lock yourself in your writerly cave and get past a sticky wicket so you can work on the easy bit while you’re away from home.

You sometimes feel like you spend more time with you imaginary friends than your real friends. (In your defense your imaginary friends live in your head!)

You have two ways of condoning every questionable thing you do. “Yolo” and “Research”.

Everyone knows your screen name but no one knows your name…yet

Though they haven’t read what your working on your friends and family know enough about your work in progress to talk you through those “sticky wickets” and they’ll never know just how much you appreciate it.


The author's comments:
This actually started out as a Facebook post that blew up!