Hurt Forever | Teen Ink

Hurt Forever

By allisonb BRONZE, Neosho, Missouri
allisonb BRONZE, Neosho, Missouri

enjoy life. there is so many things to live for and if you're not careful, it could all be gone within a blink of an eye.

There comes a time where everyone gets hurt, right? Or everyone loses someone in their life that they love more than words can describe. There I was, the happiest girl alive, dreading this to ever come.

My grandpa was my best friend. He meant everything to me, and I knew he would do anything for me in a heartbeat. He was my dad’s dad and I spent most of my days at ‘grandma and grandpas’ house. I was young and all I wanted to do was be with my grandpa. I loved him so much. But one day when I was 5, home with just my mom, I asked if I could go to their house because I was so bored. When I walked into my mom and dad’s room, the expression on my mom’s face later told me nothing would ever be the same. My mom was balling, and I was 5 so of course I started crying. I asked her what was wrong and she said she couldn’t tell me and that my dad was on his way to get me to take me to grandma and grandpas house. I had no clue what was going on.

I got in the car with my dad, so confused with what was happening. My dad started to tell me everything was going to be okay. At that point I was screaming asking what was so wrong. He said I would find out soon enough. We arrived at my grandma’s house, and the first time I had ever seen my dad cry was that very day. As we got out tears, started running down his face. My grandma opened the door and she looked miserable. The expression on her face was so... hurt. She asked me to come sit in the living room because there was something she needed to tell me. I was scared. I sat down and my dad just kept his eyes on me because he knew what my grandma was about to tell me would hurt me more than anything in the world. He didn’t know how I would take it. No one did. They all knew I loved my grandpa more than anything. She looked at me, her eyes bloodshot. She said, “Allie, Dale died today from his cancer.” I knew my grandpa had cancer I just didn’t think anything of it, I was just 5. There was one thing I knew for sure what it was. Death. My favorite person in the world is suddenly not here anymore? My best friend, the one I told everything to. I didn’t even get to tell him how much I loved him. I wanted to die, I wanted to be with him. He always knew how to cheer me up. I ran out the door, screaming, crying, not sure what to think. My dad ran after me and told me I would see him again one day. I didn’t care. My whole life had changed. I didn’t know how to function.

That very night I remember praying and remember dreaming about my grandpa and all the memories and laughs we had. Not one day goes by that I don’t think of him. I miss him so much. 9 years have gone by and he’s still my best friend. I love you grandpa.

I wanted to write about this because everyone eventually experiences something like this in their lifetime.