I Need To Write Another Story | Teen Ink

I Need To Write Another Story

By ailurophile BRONZE, 20 Minutes From Everything, North Carolina
ailurophile BRONZE, 20 Minutes From Everything, North Carolina

I've got one foot in the darkness and the other one in a Hello Kitty roller skate

I need to write another story.

Well, you have stories going, you really should get back to work on those.

No, no, I can’t. I have to start something else.

That doesn’t make sense.

You know like when you’re really craving pizza? You can eat mac n cheese and pasta and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all you want, but you still really want pizza. This is like that.

So you want pizza?

I always want pizza. But I digress. Right now I really want to write something. Something different.

There’s hardly any ‘different’ left. Everything’s been done.

Everything?

Everything.

Right. Okay.

Maybe staring at a blank document will help. Yes. That works. Just stare at it. That stupid little black cursor, blinking back and forth, visible to not visible. How sucky would that be if you were only half invisible. Like, one minute you’re visible, and then the next minute you’re invisible, and then back and forth for the rest of your life.

Can you turn that into a story?

Wait. Give me a second.

No. No I cannot.

It was a quality prompt.

I tried. I wrote like, half a page.

I’m disappointed.

I’m just not talented enough for half of the stuff I make up. Like, I’m sure if another writer got that same prompt they could churn out something brilliant, but I am not that writer.

Yeah, you’re one hell of a writer. Can’t even get the stories you write to their halfway points.

Again with the ‘half’ stuff? I need to think of something else.

Okay, music. I’ll put it on shuffle. Maybe something inspirational will come on.

I’ll sing along. I’m not a good singer either though.

Anything?

No.

Today’s just not your day.

I hate when I need to write but there’s nothing to write about.

There’s always something to write about.

Like what?

Like think. Just be quiet and think.

Nothing’s coming to me.

I’m going to look around my room. Maybe something will strike me when I look at a certain thing.

Have you played guitar in a while?

It’s like 10 pm. I can’t just practice guitar right now.

You haven’t practiced in days. Probably a week or so.

Has it really been like a week?

Uh, yeah.

Oh. Alright.

Hey, there’s that puzzle I want to do.

Your room’s too messy to really lay out a puzzle and do it right now.

I never said I was going to do it right now.

You implied it.

Shh. Just let me think.

Hey, would you look at that calendar. Month’s almost over. And you stopped working on your novel for the month like a week ago. Completely neglected it. Your characters hate you.

I hate me too. They can join the club.

They’re fictional.

Yeah, but I made them, so if I want them to join my self-hatred club then I will make them join my self-hatred club. Bonus side-story.

Maybe you should write that.

No, that’s stupid.
Have you got any better ideas?
No, but I don’t want to write that, so drop it.
You know what? Screw this. I’m wasting my night on the internet instead. I’ll write something tomorrow night. I don’t need all this brain-frying right now. I can do what I want. And if I want to write something tomorrow instead of tonight, then so help me, I’m going to.

But I still really want pizza.

A short story type thing about the inner conflict I face whenever I want to write another story. I couldn't think of anything to write, and I really wanted to write something, so I wrote something about not being able to think of anything to write about but still really wanting to write.