Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

Little Blaine said...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 10:16 am:
Why would you stay home alone without the doors locked and why wouldn't you call the cops when someone you don't know shows up at your house and sits in their car?  

imtjustamerx3a said...
Feb. 15, 2011 at 9:14 am:
I just wanna say this is super creepy! I'm glad you got out of that situation though, I would be freaking out too! You should have called the police though for sure. Don't hesitate next time :) It's the best option to stay safe.

T.R.Trevino said...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 5:38 pm:

Oh, you should always lock your doors. And called your parents. I know mine wouldn't have been at all comfortable with a guy calling me repeatably while driving up and down my driveway.

And here's a little tip about  looking out your window. They CAN see you, so you have to be really careful how you look out the window. Oh, and you might not want to pick up the phone if you don't know who it is.

Sorry for the rant...really good writing!

VirginieC This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 6, 2011 at 6:06 pm:
I'm home alone right now... This article is freaking me out, but that's a good thing, you did a great job, but WOW, I feel bad for you! Scary...

da writer said...
AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

grahamsta97 said...

oh my gosh :O

when you said the person said, "bye-bye", i freaked. no joke. that must have been so scary!

Rozaa said...
Thats scary! i like it :)

writerinfinity said...
That must have been very scary. I would be really freaked out if I had been in your shoes. :s yikes!

CerstinLee said...
Jan. 5, 2011 at 10:33 am:
i agree some people can be really stupid they dont know what will really happen so take things serious.

moon_light_writer said...
Dec. 18, 2010 at 10:49 am:
Wow! That must've been horrifiying. Close to the same thing had happened to me. I was hime alone, and these prankster kept calling the house. Whenever I picked up the phone no one would answer. Scary.

AmandaPanda123 said...
Oh my gosh that is scary...Just make sure to ALWAYS lock your doors. Everytime I'm home alone, that's the first thing I do before doing anything else. I got shivers from reading this..

heaven_sent_666 replied...
Jan. 8, 2011 at 5:31 pm :
I also got shivers from reading this!! I HATE being home alone, especially because we have a creepy house. But I'm never usually alone at night. But if that happened to me, I totally would have called  the cops!

LadyMinstrelsBallad replied...
Aug. 16, 2011 at 12:45 pm :
WOW! That last phone call was FREAKY! I'm not sure why you'd be more curious than scared after that; I'd be horrified! XD
Great job with this. Everyone can really connect with it because everyone's had a scary evening like that. :) Keep up the good work!

Imperfectlife replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 10:33 pm :
I was really creeped out by this article, I'm not homw alone... but the thought of unkown someone about to enter my house, the thought of it is terrifying.

writergirl13 said...
Wow. Did that actually happen to you?? That's so freaky!! While i was reading this, shivers ran up and down my spine. I'm not even kidding! I'm thinking about getting up and looking out of my own window to check for any weird cars in my driveway!! Great piece of writing, though! Keep up the good work!

coltsfan1027 said...
hey that was me haha jk

coltsfan1027 said...
i think next time u should lock the doors and call the police so nothin like this ever happens again

. said...
so scary i feel bad for you

mballer said...
Dec. 8, 2010 at 10:07 am:
great story

HOMEY_JR said...
Dec. 8, 2010 at 9:52 am:

Make sure you lock all doors,but don't be afraid to not be in your house alone!