Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

JMuglia said...
I loved this non-fiction piece! It was captivating and really kept my attention throughout the entire piece. The only thing I would change would be the last two sentences. Ending it with "Bye-bye" would be a better ending.
selenafan1 said...
Wow really good... I think you should have ended with the bye bye line as well. It really creeped me out though makes me happy i have an alarm system haha! Please check out some of my work my page name is selenafan1 and rate and comment please. I have two poems as well as two photos that are still pending though!
Writer_Jordan said...
Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:47 am

I stay home all the time!

Turn on a light to ward off potential burglars. Lock your doors, all of them! Close the curtains. CALL THE COPS. Just be happy that you got to write the story! Some people don't get so lucky.

livelaughloveeatsoup said...
Well-written and very interesting, but it seemed a bit anti-climatic. 
TTTeeSS replied...
Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:12 am
I agree. It just...ends. I don't think the conclusion was necassary though.
Ravenne said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 2:37 am
Creepy... but lacking. Some grammatical errors here and there, and overall- too leading. The plot wasn’t captivating and as it should have been and the character was shallow- more description please! The conclusion wasn’t necessary- best if ended the piece with the "bye bye" line. Consider utilizing more periodic sentences and visual imagery next time
TaurusGal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Yup... It is creepy =]

dgeigs said...
Mar. 8, 2012 at 7:02 am

so good...

scared said...
Mar. 8, 2012 at 6:58 am

Such a good story!

NinjaRizzo said...
woah. Great story.
ElkieLion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:03 am
Wow, seriously creepy!
obsesser said...
omg, this happened to me once when i as home alone but i heard the stair creeking and the oven started beeping. I havent even been in a room alone since
CandyGirl replied...
ikr! i HATE staying home alone!
thatpersonwhosalive said...
Jan. 21, 2012 at 9:38 am
Just yesterday some 60-70 year old woman was at the door. I didn't look who it was right away, but I did 2 minutes later when she was there still. She was there for another 5 minutes and then she finally left (it's like -30 celsius outside so it was weird that she was there for ten minutes).
Odyesseus said...
Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:18 am
Maybe it was your friends
bubblesrfun said...
Wow, I loved this story. I was home alone when I read it, and I was looking out the window constantly! :) What I loved so much about this was it was almost like a story starter. The ending is open, so you can kind of just paste yourself into the story and what you would do in this 'situation'.
TherearemanyAnnasbutIamtheORIGINAL said...

I would never be able to stay home alone again. :0

I had a similar expirence, I looked out the window when I was home alone and big black car was infront of my house. I ws sick, and could barely move. It eventually went away...but still. 

meowers5 said...
Dec. 18, 2011 at 6:15 pm about creepy

swcricket98 said...
This was a good piece, althought I feel it could have been longer. I also feel that because it wasn't as long the ending was sort-of abrupt when you said "At that point..." Interesting though!
ReadWriteBreathe said...
This gave me the chills! I can't stop looking behind me. Great job!