Home Alone | Teen Ink

Home Alone MAG

By Anonymous

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 374 comments.


hippo said...
on May. 9 2014 at 4:16 pm
Way to use common sense.....NOT

keio said...
on May. 6 2014 at 12:21 pm
this is very scary story. i dont want to image like this situation and it would  be occurred at my house. Recently i sometimes stay in my house alone but with my dog, so i keep the doors locked. however actually, my house is apartment and no one can enter the building's entrance except the residents or the stuff. 

keio said...
on May. 6 2014 at 12:15 pm
This story made me read the story really fast because I wanted to know what was gonig to happen at the end. I have experienced something similar to you before. While I was by myself at home at night when my parents were away, I was watching TV. The doorbell rang and I looked to see who was outhside throught the screen. There was a man standing outhside and he was wearing a hat, so I couldn't see who it was. I ignored the person, but he was ringing the bell many times. I became worried. When I told my parents about the terrifying experience they told me that the man must have been the refrigerator fixer who my parents asked to come that day. I really understand how you felt that time when you were alonat you house.

crazyzm BRONZE said...
on Apr. 24 2014 at 11:28 am
crazyzm BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina
3 articles 7 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I hated every moment of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'"
-Muhammad Ali

Enticing story.... but why didn't you lock all those doors before you hid?

rheame said...
on Mar. 28 2014 at 7:47 am
rheame, Anand, Other
0 articles 0 photos 64 comments

Favorite Quote:
turn a mess into a lesson

a test into testimony

a trial into triumph
and a victim into champion

wow ........ superb experience!!!!! the article was pretty gripping.................

on Mar. 2 2014 at 4:08 pm
pinkplants PLATINUM, Brandon, Mississippi
39 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Whatever you are physically...male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

I stay home alone so much, so I know that feeling of anxiety. You did an amazing job of the writing in this, you  gave me goosebumps! Good job.

on Feb. 18 2014 at 3:42 pm
Kevinator BRONZE, Johannesburg, Other
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Im nothing but a rider

lol dude,but its stil the best plan though

keio student said...
on Jan. 9 2014 at 11:36 am
Till I have read the last setence of this short story, I was little curious about what the car outside and the person who kept calling her many times. Even the last sentence gave me a lingering imagery of the character's future saying she wasn't carious even she couldn't figure out who was calling her and whose car which was stopped by outside. The story had lots of short sentence and it let me read very fast from the begging to end. And I liked how the story ended because I thought the person calling her and the car stopped in front of her house was her parent's. But the story ended differently from my thought.

on Dec. 6 2013 at 10:57 am
Godmessenger123 BRONZE, Clermont, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments
This is such a goos story ... Wow If that was me I would be so scared

AliciaR.R said...
on Nov. 12 2013 at 11:16 pm
AliciaR.R, Guadalajara, Other
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, 'cause hate in your heart will consume you too.

My god i'll be as scared as you or more, my heart started pounding as i read it!!

sunny day said...
on Oct. 21 2013 at 9:55 am
Your story made my heart pound even though I am not the one who has experienced. If I were you, I would lose my presence of mind, and panic. Although the car was gone, the last phone call makes us more scary than before. I can sympathize with your feeling that you can never stay at your home alone. 

on Sep. 29 2013 at 11:18 am
SpidersAcrossStars PLATINUM, Hayward, California
36 articles 0 photos 160 comments

Favorite Quote:
For you, a thousand times over.

Omg that was scary! Who was that creep? *chills go up spine*

on Sep. 27 2013 at 3:01 pm
morganwillard, Easley, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
Cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream. -Taylor Swift

i stay home alone all the time! this really creeped me out!!!!!!!

on Aug. 15 2013 at 10:09 pm
browneyedbeauty BRONZE, Webster City, Iowa
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
GOD always has something for you, a key for every problem, a light for every shadow, a relief for every sorrow and a plan for every tomorrow.

My jaw dropped when I got done reading this. It's brilliant and extremely spooky at the same time.

on Jul. 17 2013 at 2:12 am
Propheteer GOLD, Sudbury, Other
13 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The only thing that I see that is distinctly different about me is I'm not afraid to die on a treadmill. I will not be out-worked, period. You might have more talent than me, you might be smarter than me, you might be sexier than me, you might be all of those things you got it on me in nine categories. But if we get on the treadmill together, there's two things: You're getting off first, or I'm going to die. It's really that simple, right?
You're not going to out-work me. It's such a simple, basic concept. The guy who is willing to hustle the most is going to be the guy that just gets that loose ball. The majority of people who aren't getting the places they want or aren't achieving the things that they want in this business is strictly based on hustle. It's strictly based on being out-worked; it's strictly based on missing crucial opportunities. I say all the time if you stay ready, you ain't gotta get ready.”


― Will Smith

Not the best thing to read late at night. Great job!

TinkyWinky said...
on Jun. 3 2013 at 6:37 pm
I'm creeped Out !!!

on Apr. 28 2013 at 4:16 pm
Anna Lunderberg BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
This was incredibly terrifying! my adrenaline was pumping while reading, expecting something to pop out. I am SO glad I didn't read this while home alone. Great job! 

C810Benally said...
on Apr. 18 2013 at 11:59 pm
C810Benally, Churchrock, New Mexico
0 articles 7 photos 1 comment
Experiences like this make me sorta glad to live in a city.

on Mar. 6 2013 at 2:55 pm
countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas
15 articles 137 photos 74 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison
"Don't think or judge. Just listen." -Sarah Dessen

That was eerily creepy and suspensful all at the same time...Wow! I loved how short and simple the story was, too.

on Mar. 5 2013 at 11:37 am
SunnyDreams BRONZE, Niger Falls, Other
1 article 0 photos 274 comments

Favorite Quote:
Can you feel what I have seen, when no one else has lived through what I have?-HalveOfLife

That is scary, i never dreamed that really happened to people.