Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

Sophielulu6 said...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 10:41 am
OMG... this gave me chills down my back... so intense!!!

Kalpani R. said...
Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:44 am
O.K that sent some serious chills through me because right now I'm home alone.. I reaaly felt this one..

MWM062697 said...
Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:24 am
I would have tried to find out who it was. Still, I love how you wrote it! I once thought something like this happened, but it was just someone turning around in the driveway.

Missswordfish6 said...
I totally would've called the cops.

Shutup said...
Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:22 am
Lock the doors!!!!!

MayaaMagdy said...

This is scary but i love it 

Black_Rose_Princess said...
Wow! I can't believe that actually happened. *shivers*

DreamingOutQuiet said...
God, this freaks me out. I walked in on a home invasion*shiver* Really great job

neeneeboots said...
This is really well written. It sent chills through me. I've never really considered reading or writing anything scary like this but I think it's a very effective angle to take and you did it really well. Well done!

b2345 said...
Amazing,as you can see we are all scared to stay home alone, what a surreal experience.

Kateloveshim13 said...
May 28, 2012 at 12:57 am
So, that's amazing! But now I'm scared to stay home alone!!!! D:

Aduke9 said...
I love non-fiction pieces and this one is one of my favorites. What a surreal experience.

KennaLynn14 said...
Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:18 am

Wow, you are a very lucky girl! Im really glad that your friend pulled in the driveway, so that he left you alone, and im really glad that your okay! If i was you in that situation, i would have been scared out of my mind!

b2345 replied...
I agree .)

xxDarkAlleyxx said...
I  love this story! Its one of my favorites and that is really scary!

Grace S. said...
I really liked this story. I can relate to the on edge feeling of being home alone. The only complaint i have is the sotry ould be more eery if you ended with the words "bye-bye", nad not added the comment about curiosity. But i did enjoy it!

JMuglia said...
I loved this non-fiction piece! It was captivating and really kept my attention throughout the entire piece. The only thing I would change would be the last two sentences. Ending it with "Bye-bye" would be a better ending.

selenafan1 said...
Wow really good... I think you should have ended with the bye bye line as well. It really creeped me out though makes me happy i have an alarm system haha! Please check out some of my work my page name is selenafan1 and rate and comment please. I have two poems as well as two photos that are still pending though!

Writer_Jordan said...
Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:47 am

I stay home all the time!

Turn on a light to ward off potential burglars. Lock your doors, all of them! Close the curtains. CALL THE COPS. Just be happy that you got to write the story! Some people don't get so lucky.

livelaughloveeatsoup said...
Well-written and very interesting, but it seemed a bit anti-climatic.