Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

GirlGeniusThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 5:05 pm:
Ha ha! You made my side hurt. I loved how the tension fused up and how I got into it. Great writing!   (Check out my writing sometime...)

Romero said...
Sep. 23 at 3:32 pm:
That's some scary stuff!!! I will never stay home if that happened to me

Ez3521 said...
Sep. 23 at 3:26 pm:
To think that people can try to get into your head by doing those types of things.

Teacher Jean said...
Jul. 19 at 4:47 pm:
I am a Freshman English teacher, and I'm going to share your story with my class as a strong example of narrative writing. Good work!

Grace W. said...
May 28 at 6:18 pm:
Such an amazingly detailed piece. Please keep writing!

hippo said...
May 9 at 4:16 pm:
Way to use common sense.....NOT

mikey123 replied...
Aug. 13 at 5:40 pm :
you are really rude

keio said...
May 6 at 12:21 pm:
this is very scary story. i dont want to image like this situation and it would  be occurred at my house. Recently i sometimes stay in my house alone but with my dog, so i keep the doors locked. however actually, my house is apartment and no one can enter the building's entrance except the residents or the stuff. 

keio said...
May 6 at 12:15 pm:
This story made me read the story really fast because I wanted to know what was gonig to happen at the end. I have experienced something similar to you before. While I was by myself at home at night when my parents were away, I was watching TV. The doorbell rang and I looked to see who was outhside throught the screen. There was a man standing outhside and he was wearing a hat, so I couldn't see who it was. I ignored the person, but he was ringing the bell many times. I became worried. ... (more »)

crazyzm said...
Apr. 24 at 11:28 am:
Enticing story.... but why didn't you lock all those doors before you hid?

rheameThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 28 at 7:47 am:
wow ........ superb experience!!!!! the article was pretty gripping.................

alecia.izzyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 2 at 4:08 pm:
I stay home alone so much, so I know that feeling of anxiety. You did an amazing job of the writing in this, you  gave me goosebumps! Good job.

keio student said...
Jan. 9 at 11:36 am:
Till I have read the last setence of this short story, I was little curious about what the car outside and the person who kept calling her many times. Even the last sentence gave me a lingering imagery of the character's future saying she wasn't carious even she couldn't figure out who was calling her and whose car which was stopped by outside. The story had lots of short sentence and it let me read very fast from the begging to end. And I liked how the story ended because I t... (more »)

Godmessenger123 said...
Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:57 am:
This is such a goos story ... Wow If that was me I would be so scared

AliciaR.R said...
My god i'll be as scared as you or more, my heart started pounding as i read it!!

sunny day said...
Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:55 am:
Your story made my heart pound even though I am not the one who has experienced. If I were you, I would lose my presence of mind, and panic. Although the car was gone, the last phone call makes us more scary than before. I can sympathize with your feeling that you can never stay at your home alone. 

RainyMoodThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 29, 2013 at 11:18 am:
Omg that was scary! Who was that creep? *chills go up spine*

ilovemycat12 said...
i stay home alone all the time! this really creeped me out!!!!!!!

browneyedbeauty said...
My jaw dropped when I got done reading this. It's brilliant and extremely spooky at the same time.

Brandon M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:12 am:
Not the best thing to read late at night. Great job!