A Misconceived Cachexia | Teen Ink

A Misconceived Cachexia

June 21, 2013
By JeremyJoseph BRONZE, Glenview, Illinois
JeremyJoseph BRONZE, Glenview, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."-Bruce Lee


Helen Keller once said, “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” This explains how problems occur out of desperation due to life’s unexpected turns to be conquered. Although the troubles we go through are nerve wrecking, pushing through can only lead to a lap of luxury. An unexpected turn in society today is the genetic skin disorder called Psoriasis. This disease dates back to the 18th century, when scientists discovered that it was different from leprosy. This disease has evolved in history for many generations and now became a universal epidemic with no cure. Psoriasis is an evolving genetic disorder that is emphatically misunderstood. This disease is misconceived by its symptoms for arrival, treatment plan for a cure, and lifestyle of a victim of psoriasis.

Psoriasis is a genetic disorder that is caused by various reactions to a changing environment. Sources say that an organ such as skin acts against pathogens that are in the air, so the immune reaction protects the body from other outside diseases. The basic concept of it is the pathogen tricking the skin to produce more skin cells than are needed causing an excess. Not only does this create a high level of red patches sheltering the body, but also increases the risk for a victim to be diagnosed with skin cancer. Stress also induces the hormone levels within the body causing this recessive gene to appear under numerous circumstance. There is also a theory where temperature and humidity levels trigger patches to reveal on the body’s surface. Therefore, psoriasis has many symptoms including variation in environments and lifestyle decisions. This brings up the question if the disease can be conquered once and for all, by finding a new method to save million of patients diagnosed with this problem.

Suppressing is the only “cure” for this skin disorder because it is causing an immune response rather than being infected with a pathogenetic disease. It is misunderstood by many people because the red patches look similar to scabs that would wane. This misconception leads to the belief that a medicine could completely diminish the existence of psoriasis, but in reality it never will because of it being a genetic disorder. There are medicines out there that are in ointment, inyeccion, and radiation form that temporarily help the disorder. These medicines suppress the inflammation on the skin surface, causing the patches to become smaller and unnoticeable. The consequence of taking the suppressing medicine is the “rebound effect”, which is a reaction that can stimulate the immune response from discontinued use of the treatment.The variety of psoriasis challenges most biochemists because a specific formula would only be able to support a minority of the patients, leaving the most severe cases to genetically spread. There is a steroid treatment that was released in 2006 that was the best choice for psoriasis patients, but it opens up the human body to foreign pathogens of diseases such as malaria.

This disorder affects lifestyles of its patients because it can affect them emotionally, spiritually and physically. The lack of confidence in patients with this immune disorder is severe because they worry about their appearance more than their personality. Having superiority of the disease leads to a patient who can cope with the struggle of the disorder, which can lead to a happier and healthier lifestyle. The toll of having this problem is also a loss in hope for a job because some may consider the problem to be contagious, but in reality it is one of the safest disorders.Therefore, having the problem is not only a lifestyle change, but a moment of clarity to absorb the consequences of the disorder. The expenses of the treatment plans can also affect a person’s life because some are not financially stable to afford the expense to suppress the response. With that said, the life of a psoriasis patient is a fight for survival against society and social norms.

All in all, psoriasis is a never ending skin disorder with currently no cure. Having a plan for survival can start by knowing the symptoms of the disease, researching the treatment plans and understanding the social toll in society. The future is near and society must learn about this disease because it is being misunderstood by many people. From the detail above, a person can now see that there is no way of catching the disease other than by genetics, so by the time the cure is found a minority of the population will only be diagnosed with the disorder. The future of medicine is to find a clear zone for major genetic immune disorders like psoriasis, but funding is on tight ropes. Whatever happens, the challenges and struggles that people face today to find the cure show how much they care, so eventually the world will be clear of major cases of psoriasis.


The author's comments:
I was inspired to figure out more about this topic because my father was diagnosed with psoriasis at the age of forty five. He's been struggling for a long time now, so my dream is to find a way to suppress the immune response without opening up the body to harmful diseases.