Take It From Someone Who Knows | Teen Ink

Take It From Someone Who Knows

June 4, 2013
By Jewish-Latina95 SILVER, West Des Moines, Iowa
Jewish-Latina95 SILVER, West Des Moines, Iowa
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Love can last forever...if ur love urself first.


Before you young men get cocky and egotistical on your looks, let me give you a word of advice on something very important:

NOT EVERY GIRL CARES ON HOW HANDSOME YOU THINK YOU ARE!

Sorry for making it seem I’m very angry on the subject, but it’s true. Not every girl falls for a person because he has a pretty face and a fit body. Some girl will actually like someone for his personality.
Take me for example. I had a boyfriend living in Wisconsin who loves dressing up like either Superman, Batman, of Spiderman. (By the way, I love Batman. For this reason, that is why I chose to date him.) He is into being weird and I loved that about him. He was a complete dork, and proud of that. Though not a hundred percent mature, Alex is not afraid to act like a complete goofball and welcomes anyone who loves to act the same.
I had gotten to be myself around him, sharing my love for writing with him, without hiding anything, personality wise. (I used a photo I found on the internet as my profile picture and pretended that I looked like her.) Being a hopeless romantic, I feel for the “love at first sight” sort of thing and it built up from there.
What I also loved about him was that he is not afraid to act like a gentleman toward me. That’s right. He acts like a gentleman. He’s not walking around with the back of his pant below his butt and saying ever cuss word ever known. He doesn’t do anything illegal, thinking it will make him cool. He treats the women in his life, not as if they’re slaves, but with respect.
Though our relationship was long-distance, and had lasted only little less than a month, he’ll send messages saying things like “I miss you”, “I love you”, “Don’t forget that your worth something and beautiful”; and others that made me feel like the luckiest girl in the world. He thought of me, possibly, as “…wise beyond my years,” and actually mean it.
The biggest reason I loved this trait about him, however, was that he was willing to wait. There was not pressure to do anything, I was not comfortable or ready to do, and he respected that I am abstinent. (My punk friends would say I am Straight Edge though.)
I’m in tears right now, just writing this paper. I’m in tears because I hurt a great guy that treated me with nothing but love and consideration. I lied to him, toyed with his heart, pretended to be someone else, just so he would fall in love with me. I was desperate and lost, needy and confused. I let my crazy fantasies take over and destroy a great relationship with an awesome, amazing, perfect in my eyes, person like him.
I get that this article seems hypocritical. I treated this wonderful guy the same way I’m telling you not to treat a girl. Nevertheless, I’ve learned my lesson. I’m taking responsibility for my actions, enduring the pains of a broken heart and self-hating myself, and understanding that I’m never going to see or talk to him again. He deserves better, and I supposedly need to grow up some more.
Still, don’t be the person I was towards a person you like. You will get farther in life if you do not… and save yourself a guilt trip down The Boulevard of Broken Dreams.


The author's comments:
This was originally an essay I wrote for a class assignment, but decided to post it on TI.