The Essential Qualities of Resilience | Teen Ink

The Essential Qualities of Resilience

April 13, 2013
By khs1195 BRONZE, Tenafly, New Jersey
khs1195 BRONZE, Tenafly, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Charles Darwin proposed the idea of survival of the fittest, which is the idea that the strongest, fastest, and most adaptable members of a species will beat out their weaker counterparts. The same idea applies to humans, who are, after all, animals as well. The people who get ahead are the people with the most intelligence and drive. However, more importantly than both the aforementioned traits is the ability to overcome difficulties in life, which will inevitably arise. This resilience is not as simple as one might at first think; resilience is actually a combination of three basic elements: ingenuity, the right mindset, and passion of the subject.


Successfully jumping hurdles would be impossible if one did not know how to jump. Similarly, solving problems is impossible without a fresh perspective as seen in Izhak Perlman’s amazing performance with only three strings on his violin. Obviously, he would not have been able to successfully adapt to a broken string without being able to think on his feet and recompose the piece. Although not all problems will require Perlman’s masterful creativity, having such amazing abilities to use what one has to make up for a lack will not be a hindrance. A certain amount of creativity is necessary to overcome setbacks when they occur, as it allows us to adapt to the situation and adopt resilience.


A second fundamental element of resilience is the right mindset. One cannot be thrown by problems—one must see that challenge as an opportunity to improve. When Thomas Alva Edison’s original plans didn’t work; he merely tried and tried again. Now, he is remembered as the inventor of the light bulb, the gramophone, the microphone and countless other objects that were revolutionary during his time. It defeatist pessimistic attitude will not help anybody. To overcome difficulties, one must be mentally prepared for the challenge.


The third, and perhaps most important, elements of resilience is passion for the subject. One cannot hope to clear the road blocks in life without determination and ardor. From my experiences with playing the violin, I have found that mastering a new concerto or perfectly landing a minor scale will not happen unless I have the will to work. My love of music is what keeps me practicing repeatedly after class, constantly working. Passion is necessary to get past setbacks; without it one loses his or her will to do so.


The essential qualities of resilience, ingenuity, wind set, and passion, seem simple enough to read about. However, one must now try to implement these characteristics into one’s daily life, and hope to have the resilience to overcome future, unavoidable difficulties.