Video Games Can Be Good | Teen Ink

Video Games Can Be Good

April 4, 2013
By addo85 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
addo85 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

According to the website “lovetoknow” 63% of Americans play video games and 70% of all of the people on earth play video games. This is a startling fact but it is not necessarily a bad thing. Video games can actually be good for you. I will explain how they can be good and I will combat some of the reasons why people don’t like them.
One of the main reasons parents don’t want their children playing video games is because they are afraid of their child becoming disconnected with their friends. The truth is they can actually become more connected. With video game networks such as “Xbox Live” and the “Playstation Network”, kids can actually become better connected with their friends by using a microphone. Now they can talk to their friends while playing games with them. By doing this children can actually create stronger friendships. That is one of the main reasons why parents don’t want their children to play video games.

Many people say that playing video games can decrease a person’s vision and make that person go blind. This is also untrue. McMaster University in Canada led a test where the subjects would play “Medal of Honor” for two hours a day, five days a week, for a month. It was reported that the subject’s visions actually improved. Thus proving that video games will not make someone go blind. That is the other main reason why parents don't want their children playing video games.

Video games can also help people with school. Video games can help with math and reading skills, as well as concentration and problem solving. In fact there are video games made specifically for this purpose and they can really help a child in school. That is another reason why video games can be good.

The point is that video games can actually be good and aren’t all bad. I think that we, as a people, should look at video games as an innovation and as a gateway to the future. Because in the end video games will help us get to the future by helping the advancement of technology.