Wonderland of White | Teen Ink

Wonderland of White

By Phoebe Belmore BRONZE, Warwick, Rhode Island
Phoebe Belmore BRONZE, Warwick, Rhode Island

My gaze was pasted to the serene icy forest, as the feel of this winter paradise warmed my heart and made my insides melt. I was stimulated by the smell of pine wafting through the air. The pond looked like a perfect slate of natural glass, and I slowly crouched down to touch it. As I leaned over, I could feel the frost dissolving into my face, my cheeks overflowing with a pink hue. I touched the ice with my tiny, grubby hand, and the perspiration from my pal stuck my hand to the frozen pond. How do those little fish breathe down there, I wondered? How do they survive in such harsh conditions? Did every fish turn into a frozen fish stick during the winter, or was there some way for them to keep warm? I imagined a fish’s world to be one like in the Little Mermaid: bright, blue, and beautiful. Everyone makes such a fuss about fish in the summer, but what about the harsh winter months?

I gazed up at the trees, wondering about those fat squirrels that were safe inside their homes, nestled away for the winter. ‘I sure wish I could sleep all winter,’ I thought. I could picture all the squirrels in the family huddled close together, their fireplace burning bright all winter long. I felt sorry for the birds, wishing they could experience the wondrous tranquility of nature that I felt in that moment. My experience in this winter wonderland made me realize that some of the greatest wonders of the world could be right in your backyard.