More Than Luck | Teen Ink

More Than Luck

By Nicole.M. GOLD, Thomasville, Pennsylvania
Nicole.M. GOLD, Thomasville, Pennsylvania

My family has a long history of various kinds of cancers. I've said that anytime it came up in a conversation, which didn't happen often. Why? I said it because of what it really meant; I have a huge chance of developing cancer. I could see it in their eyes that they were thinking the same thing when I told them that. To me it was a threat that might come true when in the future. That was true except for two things, it happened sooner than I expected and it wasn't me. My mom went to the doctor and they did some sort of scan. They found an unknown lump in her. So they did a more advanced scan and found another lump. Except they knew what this one was, it was cancer. My mom tried to stay calm but to be honest I was freaking out. Eventually the fact that I was freaking out started to freak her out. (I'm skipping some of the details because they are unnecessary and somewhat embarrassing.) So she went to the hospital and had surgery. As soon as I saw her I immediately was fine. But the whole situation had scared me to death. They never found that first lump when they did the surgery. The only proof that it may have existed was the first scan. If that lump didn't show up on that first scan they wouldn't have found the second lump of cancer on the second scan. Somehow it had to be more than luck.

My family and I think it might have been God since we are religious. So do our other religious friends. But think what you want.