Almost Lost My Life | Teen Ink

Almost Lost My Life

March 12, 2013
By m16rehurd BRONZE, Kula, Hawaii
m16rehurd BRONZE, Kula, Hawaii
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I was only 2 years old when I got severely dehydrated. I was too young to remember this event, but my great-grandmother always tells me this story and reminds me of how grateful I should be that I still have my life today. I almost lost my life.

It seemed to be a normal afternoon when this incident first occurred; it started with me throwing up. It had been a long day and I suppose I didn’t drink enough water and therefore was probably a little dehydrated. Or what we believed to be “a little dehydrated.” We didn’t think anything of it at first, until we realized I couldn’t hold any food or water down. My parents knew that something was wrong and decided to take me to the hospital. We got to the hospital and the doctors checked me out. They told us that they have 1000s of cases just like mine every single day and didn’t worry too much about me. They sent me on my way. When I got home, I was still very, very sick and my whole body was pale. I kept throwing up and it would get all over the place. My mom gave me a shower several times that afternoon and I was just completely out of it, I wouldn’t even cry. It sounds strange, but I have a sensitive scalp and it hurts sometimes when I brush my hair. But my mind was in a different place, my mother would brush the vomit out of my hair in the shower and it didn’t bother me one bit. It was if I had no sense of pain tolerance. I didn’t cry or complain that it hurt. At this point I couldn’t hold down any food or water, and was dry heaving. I suppose the ground was cool or felt good, because my parents tell me how I would just crawl on the ground and lie there.

It was a Friday when my family and I went to visit my grandparents’ house. My grandmother was a retired nurse and the second she saw me, she knew this was something serious. She took one look at me and told my mom to take me to the hospital right away. So they took me to the hospital and when we got there, my dehydration was so bad; my parents said that I was very pale. You could actually see the bones in my body! “My princess, don’t leave us!” Some of the few words my dad whispered in my ear as I lay on the bed. The doctors had to hook me up on several IV’s. Luckily, it really helped and I have recovered. I was too young to remember this event, but my great-grandmother tells me this story and how scared they were for me. God had definitely sent me an angel! I was in the hospital for at least 2 days but eventually was fully recovered and I am now as healthy as can be. Now, I look back and remember this story and thank God every day for healing and protecting me!This is just one of the ways God has performed miracles in my life.