Myself | Teen Ink

Myself

February 28, 2013
By Lindsay Arena BRONZE, Parkland, Florida
Lindsay Arena BRONZE, Parkland, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Study the notes on chapter 9 and take the online practice test; do the SAT prep work for Wednesday’s class and memorize the unknown vocabulary; don’t you dare go on Facebook; write one elaborated paragraph with the “Girl” thesis; complete your trigonometry review before your test tomorrow; when writing the psychology terms, be sure to write in blue or black ink, because that way you will receive full credit; edit the Civil War FRQ before you turn it in; why do you waste an hour when you come home from school to surf the internet?; always write your essays in such a grammatically correct way that it won’t make your teachers think less of you; on Fridays try to get some REHUGO sone instead of watching TV like the slacker you are so bent on becoming; don’t go on the internet after school - its a soul-sucking vortex; you mustn’t compare grades with fellow academic competitors, not even if you know you did better than them on a test; don’t let people cheat off of your paper - laggards will follow you; but I don’t stay on the internet for that long and I really need some time to unwind after a long day at school; this is how to graph the United State’s oil supply; this is how to make it look like you know what the heck you are saying when answering analysis questions about the U. S.’s oil supply; this is how to disable your internet connection for the allotted amount of time to prevent yourself from checking Twitter like the slacker I know you are so bent on becoming; this is how you design your yearbook spread so that it doesn’t have too much white space; this is how you design your yearbook spread so everything fits on the page; this is how you study green algae - through a compound microscope, because green algae are extremely tiny; when looking through a compound microscope, make sure to begin focusing on the lowest power objective lens or else everything will be blurry when you try to zoom in; this is how you outline a section; this is how you outline a whole chapter; this is how you analyze an essay; this is how you pass a class you don’t like too much; this is how you barely get a B in a class you don’t like at all; this is how you get above a 95% in a class you like completely; this is how you write coordinates on a unit circle; this is how you write radians on a unit circle; this is how you write the radians in exact form so you don’t write them to the nearest tenth and, as a result, fail the test; this is how you figure out SOH CAH TOA; this is how you calculate the degrees in a triangle; this is how you engage in leadership positions in numerous extracurricular activities, and this way college admissions boards won’t recognize immediately the slacker I have warned you against becoming; be sure to get some sleep, even if its just for a few hours; don’t copy rhetorical devices found in google searches - you’re not an idiot you know; don’t get into groups for a class project with students you just met - you might have to do all of the work; don’t blow off studying for the easy trigonometric functions test, because it might not be so easy at all; this is how to make a powerpoint; this is how to make a spreadsheet; this is how to make an expertly-designed poster board; this is how to make an expertly-designed poster board that your teacher will look at once then throw away; this is how to annotate an article; this is how to remember to eat in the middle of all of your colossal amount of homework; this is how to conquer 16 essays; this is how 16 essays conquers you; this is how to complete your 16 essays a week early so you can get extra credit, and if you fail to finish them for the maximum amount of points don’t feel too bad about staying up all night for one or two days straight to get at least some points; this is how to check out some books from the library when you feel like it, and this is how to ignore those books for a month so they don’t distract you from your mounting pile of godforsaken school work; this is how to keep up your GPA; this is how to research the college programs you want to get into; but what happens if I don’t get accepted to one of my top three colleges?; you mean to say after all of that hard work you are going to be the kind of scholar that doesn’t get into one of her top schools?


The author's comments:
based off of "Girl" by Jamaica Kincaid