Bad friendship | Teen Ink

Bad friendship

By asandraf SILVER, Pasco, Washington
asandraf SILVER, Pasco, Washington

Brittney entered my life as a good friend early my junior year, but left me lost and confused as I was entering my senior year. My junior year was tough, I was in a tough time in my life having to deal with constant fighting with my mom and stressful drama at work as I was trying to decide whether or not I should quit. I was partnered up with her in my English class for a reading project, and she had to come over to my house after the school day to work on it.

We started talking in class everyday and our friendship clicked. I felt as though I could tell her anything and everything...and I did. By the end of the semester we were spending all day, every day together. We even went to the counselor’s office and switched our schedules around so we would have most of our classes together. It was all fun and games in the beginning, but things slowly started changing.

After a while of being friends and spending all of our free time together, we started slowly getting tired of each other. I noticed that she was beginning to be rude to me and treat me bad. I heard people saying that she would go behind my back and say mean things about me, but knowing her, I didn’t think she would do something like that. Apparently I didn’t know her like I thought I did.

After a week of feeling like she was mistreating me as a friend, she started ditching me to hang out with two girls who she supposedly hated. She was hanging out with them more and more until I was ignored. One day she came to our second hour history class and sat next to me and didn’t say a word.

After class I asked her what’s going on she told me its none of my business. I kept trying to talk to her and figure out why she refused to have a normal conversation with me. She snapped and shouted “Leave me the **** alone! I don’t care to talk to you!” I was shocked. I decided to ignore her for the rest of the day and go home and think about it.

She texted me later that night and informed me that she didn’t want to be my friend anymore. Apparently I was never a good enough friend to her, and didn’t listen to any of her problems. I didn’t understand where she got that from. In a strange way, I was actually okay with it. If she didn’t want to be my friend why should I have to be upset over that? That is when she crossed the line.

One of my other friends, Ashley came up to me a few days later and seemed mad at me. I asked why and her answer was “Why didn’t you tell me you cheated on your boyfriend? Did you think I would judge you?”
I was furious. Brittney had told Ashley that to make it sound like I was a bad friend and awful person. I never did cheat on him. It hurt me that she felt the need to spread rumors about me. Ashley showed me the text Brittney sent her about how I can’t be trusted, and that apparently I kept a lot of secrets from Ashley because I didn’t like being friends with her. I decided to ignore her and all the things she was saying about me. I figured that the people who really know me and really matter to me would know that she wasn’t telling the truth.

I still don’t understand why she would do that to me. After all I did for her, and all the times I was there for her, why did she feel the need to attack me like that? I wish I had answers as to why she did that, I’ve thought that maybe she has issues with getting too close to people and it scared her away. I hope that she doesn’t put anybody else through anything like that. For the first couple days I was depressed over the fact that I lost my best friend. I would have never wanted to get that close to her if I knew she was going to do that to me.

It took me a while to get over the fact that she put me through all of that. The beginning of that summer after junior year was when I started hanging out with my other friends and moving on. The whole situation made me learn to be careful who I associate myself with. I’m sure I will still have some friends come and go, but I never want to go through anything that dramatic again. I feel better about myself when I’m hanging out with my new friends, they don’t make me feel bad about myself like she always did. I guess I can be glad that I learned a lesson from her.