Humanity's Hold | Teen Ink

Humanity's Hold

By gabbygirl88 BRONZE, Hull, Massachusetts
gabbygirl88 BRONZE, Hull, Massachusetts

Standing on the stage of truth, brought trickling little tears that streamed down the length of my face. I felt the others around me as they stood tall too, releasing their soul’s inner burdens and unlocking their innocence for the crowd to see; astonishing and silent like a dove taking flight. The pure power of the silence shattered with the next question, “ If you or someone you know have been effected by a death of a loved one, please come to the stage”. More silence, then the shuffling of others completed the room, other teenagers my age that I didn’t even know answered the question and traveled to the stage. Another question, “ What do you want us to know about this group and what can we do to help?”. From left to right the walls were draped in white paint that illuminated against the darkness of the night, creating a somber party of campers. I was so moved by the question that I forgot to go up. I sat still in the crowd watching stories unfold of pain and compassion. There was no disrespect, there was no judgment, and there was no humiliation. There was just peace and united people who put aside who they are at high school to stand up for the common cause of humanity.

Chills, chills, chills, they ran through my body like the blood flowing through my veins as I sat placidly in my chair. It was the beginning of June and I never knew it could be so crisp in Cape Cod, but I didn’t mind because I was overwhelmed with the supporting warmth from others. The next question brought liberal masses to the stage, “If you, or someone you know has been effected by bullying please come to the stage”. We all rose together like when a wave meets the air and went to the wooden platform. The speaker spoke again “ What do you want us to know about this group and what can we do to help?”. All our minds were synchronized, we knew we were not alone, it was okay to cry, crying is not a symbol of the weak, it is the song of the strong.

That night at the leadership camp, people from all walks of life came together with the understanding that pain connects everyone- and that one person can make a positive difference on another through kindness, respect, and listening. Through this experience I realized that my sense of self is forever united with humanity and through the liberal arts I can use my passion of storytelling through writing television programs, I can ultimately influence others to feel the same.

My inspiration was my real life experience at a leadership camp that expanded my outlook on life entirely. I hope people understand this piece's overall message that we are all not alone in this world and there will always be someone going through the same experience.