The Dream | Teen Ink

The Dream

By kaysestidham SILVER, Grove, Oklahoma
kaysestidham SILVER, Grove, Oklahoma

All you need is love!

I'm walking home. From what, I don't know. Work, the store, a friends house? I feel emotionally drained. Wherever I was, I didn't like the people there, and they didn't like me. There are high school girls on the side of the street who yell things, things that make me miserable. I'm trying to stand up for myself, but that seems to make things worse. Now I'm ignoring them, but they show no mercy. I complete my walk home with my head down and my hair in my face.

I'm at my door when the girl walks up to me. "What?" I ask.

"You're worthless." She says, and a tear rolls down my cheek. She walks away, laughing hysterically.

I wipe the traitor tear away and unlock my door. I get even more frustrated as I fumble around, struggling to find the right key. I find the right one and fling the door open. I head straight to my bedroom and crawl under the covers. Then I see her.

I see a little girl skip into my bedroom. She is a four-year-old version of myself - only different. I look at her eyes and they are just like mine - only different. Her hair and her face are just like mine - only different. I can't stop staring at her eyes. She giggles, and I gasp. She giggles even more, and I can't help but join in myself. All of a sudden , I feel happier than I ever have. The girl sits on my bed, and we just sit there staring at each other, laughing. This feeling is pure bliss.

I snap into a new world when my mother flips the light on. "Time to get up," She says. I sit in bed, confused, for a few minutes before I realize that it was a dream.

I brush my teeth and get dressed in a daze. Who was that girl? I've always heard that it's impossible for our minds to make up faces, but I've never seen this one before. Our resemblance was similar, but too different to be the same.

It suddenly dawns on me. That girl has to be my daughter. I've never been sure about wheter or not I wanted children, but suddenly I was sure. I wanted her. I was overwhelmed with a new sense of longing. She was all I could think about. I went to school and told my friends about this dream. While a few blew it off, others were sure that the dream was a vision of my future daughter.

I was assured by this dream. Even if this girl wasn't my daughter, there was something worth fighting for. Something that made the world worth dealing with. Although I couldn't be sure that this dream was what I thought it was, I was excited to see what my future held.

This is a personal narrative about I dream that I had a couple of months ago that had an impact on my life.