The Homeless Smile | Teen Ink

The Homeless Smile

November 8, 2012
By Megschu BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Megschu BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Looking out the window of a bus, I watched people in tattered, ripped up clothing and most with unshaved faces hold signs by the side of the road in a desperate attempt to receive food, which is something I take for granted every day. After all, food is a necessity of life. My former youth group understood that food is something everyone should have every day, which is why we would gather in Washington D.C. about three times a year with an organization called Teens Opposing Poverty. This group is overwhelmed with compassion and has a deep hunger for justice as they make a true difference in the world around them. Their mission is to stop poverty by supplying opportunities for the homeless and to make youth more aware of the poverty around them. Our job as a youth group was to hand out food, drinks, and any piece of clothing that the people may be in need of. In addition to this, my group and I talked and prayed with some of the people who are going through poverty to get to know them and learn about their struggle. I understand that it is not everyone’s dream to actually interact with homeless people as most try to stay as far away as possible, but it turns out that most of the people I met in the past have truly tragic stories that should be heard.

My life was changed from the first time I participated in this experience. The aroma of meaty hot dogs wrapped in tin foil and warm chili filled my nostrils as I prepared to hand out the meals to a helpless couple in desperate need of something warm. The painful look in their eyes made me think, ‘How can I grumble through my life knowing that I have a loving family, a stable house, and food on my plate every day as others are barely making it through life?’ My view on my life changed as I realized how selfish and inconsiderate I have been throughout my life.
Eventually, my eyes lit up as I finally saw a man with a smile on his face. Although he wore the most worn out, raggedy clothes I had ever seen and had a long, scratchy beard, he expressed the brightest smile I had seen all day. Although I realized the others were just as appreciative for these gifts, this particular man actually showed enthusiasm and constantly shook all our hands with great gratitude and thankfulness. He truly could not have been more grateful.

Once everyone was served with food and clothes, I was able to talk freely with whomever I chose, and one of the first people who crossed my mind to talk to was that man I met earlier with the beam on his face. I had a burning desire to find out what makes this wonderful man the way he is and why he has such great spirits. I spotted him about twenty feet away on a cold metal bench, eating peacefully. Showing no reaction to the random people walking by him who stared at his beaten, holey clothes and tangled hair and gagged from the stench of not showering, this man remained to himself and ate quietly and alone.

After finally having the nerve to say hello to him, I found out his story and why he came to be the in his present condition. Jobless due to the closing of a company he once worked for, he was left with no family to help him in his struggle; he was forced to live in a shelter home with little to no food. Reluctantly, his spirits remained high because of his strong faith in God, and he knew the Lord had a bigger plan for him ahead. However, until his plan is called, he keeps his spirits uplifted and inspires people like me without even knowing it. He taught me to live a life full of happiness and laughter without needing materialistic items. Speaking to this man made me realize how similar we actually were due to our similar views in life and our love for basketball. After talking for a while, I asked him to pray with me in hopes to bring him a safe and enriched life ahead of him. Later on in the prayer, he added on by whispering, “Please bless this young girl with a life full of happiness and help her with any struggle she may face down her road.” Trying to force them back, tears streamed down my face after the prayer was through. He immediately reached over to give me a hug. Despite his scratchy, rough clothes, his hug was peaceful and serene.

Every night, thousands upon thousands of Americans across the United States are homeless or in great poverty and suffer from hunger. Some of these people have made bad choices, or maybe they are people who were simply unlucky. Maybe they, like many Americans, have lost their jobs and their homes and have no one to help them. Either way, they are people who don’t deserve to live life in fear, hunger, and in a box while others spend their lives passing by them in bright Mustangs or Camaros. There are many people who make bad choices and just get lucky. Those in poverty deserve to have a second chance at life from considerate people who care enough to help.