Ikaria Myths | Teen Ink

Ikaria Myths

By _Jenna BRONZE, Swampscott, Massachusetts
_Jenna BRONZE, Swampscott, Massachusetts

"

"

So recently in English class, our class somehow broke into a discussion about “ The Fall of Icarus”. The Fall of Icarus suggest that life goes on, even after a tragic experience. I believe Icarus may be right for instance, my freshman year of high school my best friends, the two people I confide all my trust in, the two people I’d willingly take a bullet for the . I learned they were not willing to do the same for me. I’m not sure what triggered it, but whatever it was doesn’t make up for the fact that they treated me like I wasn’t a human being.
It started with small things for example in the cafeteria I wasn’t “allowed to sit with them” and then it progressively got worse. If they weren’t throwing food at me during lunch they were publicly harassing me on the internet or in the cooridors. For the most part I was alone and I just wanted someone to talk to anyone that would listen really, and though everyone’s eyes appeared open there ears seemed to be closed. Every day grew worse I found my mother like a pair of tweezers plying me out of bed every morning. I tried to hide the physical and emotional pain under my sleeves, but its hard when you’ve got two people that truly despise you riding on your back or sitting behind you in biology class.
Summer came and though the harassment did continue it began to die down due to my lack of reaction and the absence of each others presence. I started making the best out of the situation. It was a wake up call a realization that I was better than that and stronger then them I found a sense of identity. So like I was saying earlier I believe this whole situation falls perfectly into place with The Fall of Icarus.
Though some say tragic would be suggesting death well in a way it was a form of death you know a loss. To whom I once was I will never be the same person I was prior to this experience but if you’re willing to take the good with bad then I believe this whole situation isn’t that horrible. It was a learning experience, a change it’s all part of that whole growing up thing and letting go and hey, life goes on and there is plenty of beauty in that.

This is VERY rough draft of my college essay let me know what you think thanks! :)